This honest Butcher Box review will provide information on the service, pros and cons, the cost, and if I think it is worth it.
I will be completely honest and say that I really think Butcherbox isn’t for everyone. I will get more into that down as we get more in-depth with the review. I will be completely honest because there are pros and there are cons to using the service. But first…
Right now when you sign up as a new customer, you get free Filet Mignon and Lobster while supplies last! Learn More by clicking here
What is Butcher Box?
Butcher box is a meat subscription delivery service. According to Butcher Box, their meat is the highest quality grass fed beef, heritage breed pork, free range chicken, and wild caught salmon.
Butcher Box has a goal to make high-quality meat accessible to as many people as possible.
When you setup your first delivery, you can choose the type of box you want. The different boxes are Custom Box, Mixed Box, Beef & Pork, Beef & Chicken, or All Beef. You can also choose a frequency of every 2 weeks, 4 weeks, or 6 weeks. This can all be changes with subsequent orders.
The 2 different sizes of boxes are classic box and the big box…of course the bog box gives you the best deal. More on that later.
Is the subscription easy to change?
This was my biggest objection when I first was interested in Butcherbox. I need to know that I can change or cancel my subscription anytime without having to call and sit on hold.
The good thing is everything can be changed directly in your account!
You can change your box type, size, frequency, and you can also postpone or cancel your subscription with the click of a button.
This was huge for me!
Here is a screenshot of my dashboard just so you can see all of the options that they provide.
Pros and Cons
- Delivery of high quality beef, chicken, pork, and salmon to your front door (48 contiguous United States)
- The meat is really tender. I especially love the pork chops because usually thick cut pork chops that I buy in the store are tough. These are super tender. I use them to make my Air Fryer Crispy Pork Chops. The steaks are so tender, too!
- The meat ships fast and is always frozen when I receive it.
- The subscription is really flexible
- They often have member only offers that are really amazing deals (more on that later)
- You can earn $30 for each friend you refer
- Their packaging is all plastic but you really can’t get much of an alternative unless you go to a local butcher.
- The packaging sometimes leaks so I always keep the package in a bowl to thaw. This really isn’t that big of a deal to me.
- Depending on what you buy, it can be expensive (like steak), but I will show you below how to pick the best cuts of meat for your money.
This is what everyone wants to know! But first, I want to give you a bit of perspective.
This is definitely more expensive than commercially farmed meat that you can buy at your local super market…but what are you buying when you purchase meat from the super market?
If it is commercially farmed meat and not grass fed or pasture raised, that means they are usually fed corn and raised inhumanly. Here is a little more information on this subject if you would like to become more informed.
So you can imagine it costs more to produce high quality meat like Butcher Box does as it comes directly from farmers who are held to higher standards.
If you choose Boneless skinless chicken thighs, chicken breast, chicken tenders, bone-in chicken thighs, whole chickens, and beef shoulder roasts you can get a really great deal.
Members only deals
One of the pros of Butcher Box that I mentioned above is they have members only deals.
These are perfect when you want to stock up on meats and the deals really cannot be beat!
As of October 2020 the members only deals are as follows:
- 14-18 pound turkey
- Salmon burgers
- Burger and Hot Dog Bundle
- Cooked Spare Ribs
- Ground Bison
- Ground Turkey
- Apple Gouda Sausage
Who shouldn’t use Butcher Box
If the quality of your meat is important to you but you like to hunt for the best deals and really couldn’t care about the convenience of home delivery, then I think you can skip this service.
Perfect recipes for Butcher Box meat
- Instant Pot Chicken Thighs
- Guide to Instant Pot Chicken Breast
- Curry Roasted Chicken Thighs and Butternut squash
- Pressure Cooker Pot Roast
- Keto Chicken Fajita Casserole
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Thighs
- Tuscan Chicken Thighs
- Italian Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Keto Chicken Alfredo Sauce
Watch me unpack my box!