It’s time to get spiralizing…lets get to cooking this low carb 30 minute meal! These Chayote Squash Noodles with Chorizo and Shrimp are spicy, fragrant, flavorful, and only 5 ingredients!
I’m sure you have seen the chayote squash in the produce section of your produce market and thought, “what the heck do I do with that?”
Chayote originates from Mexico. It is a firm fruit that has a very mild flavor and is very crisp. I have seen it used chopped into soups or stews, sautéed with other vegetables and spices, or made into a dessert!
“As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.”
Although the chayote is firm, I found it very easy to spiralize into noodles. I used the thin spaghetti blade on my spiralizer and went to town! To prepare the chayote for spiralizing, you just cut off a bit of both ends so they are flat (like the photo above). After I finished turning the chayote into noodles, I laid the noodles out on a double layer of paper towels and sprinkled them with salt. I let them drain on the paper towels while I made the chorizo sauce and shrimp.
If you are intimidated by the chayote, you can definitely use zucchini noodles instead. I’ll forgive you.
I love using chorizo in recipes because it has so much flavor! I used Cacique brand that I am sure you can find at most grocery stores. But get this, I found it by the cream cheese. I was literally walking around the grocery store for half an hour looking for this darn chorizo! I finally had to ask someone who worked there where the heck it was. I mean in the dairy section…really?
So after I cooked the chorizo through, I removed it from the pan and added the shrimp and I sautéed them in all of that yummy chorizo goodness. This dish was so easy to pull together. It is truly a low carb 30 minute meal!
I use my spiralizer about once a week. I love it! I used it to make my Zucchini Noodles with Creamy Pesto and Burst Tomatoes
You can also see other noodles alternatives in my post 5 Low Carb Substitutes for Pasta!
Chayote Squash Noodles with Chorizo and Shrimp
- Lay out the spiralized chayote noodles on a layer of paper towel and sprinkle with salt. Let drain on the towels while you make the sauce.
- Saute the chorizo in a skillet until it resembles cooked hamburger meat. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the shrimp to the pan and cook on each side until pink and no longer translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan. Add the Chicken broth and scrape the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the chayote noodles to the pan and sauté for 5 minutes. The noodles will remain crunchy.
- To serve, place 1/4 of the chayote noodles on a plate and top with 1/4 of the chorizo and shrimp.