Keto Sweet and Sour Chicken (No Frying!)
Skip the Chinese takeout and settle in for a homemade, low carb sweet and sour chicken! Fresh green/yellow bell peppers, savory chicken, covered in keto friendly sweet and sour sauce! Serve over steamed cauliflower rice to make this a over-the-top Chinese keto creation! No frying, super easy and under 30 minutes... you'll be glad you ordered in your keto kitchen instead! 6 Net Carbs for 1/4th of the recipe
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
Heat the avocado oil in a large skillet over high heat.
Add in the chicken thighs and cook until brown on all sides and cooked through. Should take about 5 minutes. Check for doneness with a meat thermometer (165F)
Reduce the heat to medium and add in the green and yellow bell peppers. Cook for about 2 minutes just to soften them up a bit.
Add in the apple cider vinegar, tomato paste, soy sauce, sweetener and xanthan gum. Stir well to incorporate the xanthan gum.
Turn the heat back up to high just until the liquid starts to bubble. Remove from the heat and let sit for a few minutes to thicken.
Serve with steamed cauliflower rice.
- Chicken breast or chicken thighs: You can you either for this recipe. This is really light with the use of chicken breast. Boneless skinless chicken thighs will add some calories but will add more flavor as well.
- Vinegar: If you are low on apple cider vinegar, white vinegar works well in a pinch.
- Sweetener: I like Lakanto sweetener but any 1 for 1 replacement for sugar will work in this recipe.
- Soy Sauce: Coconut aminos can be used as well as Tamari
- Xanthan Gum: This is a replacement for the common cornstarch ingredient in most Chinese recipes. A thickening agent that only requires 1/2 a teaspoon. This means less carbs!
Calories: 340kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g