Cloud Bread that's Not Eggy (No Cream of Tartar)
Cloud bread, also known as oopsie rolls, is an old keto bread recipe that people have been making for years. My version is not eggy and doesn't have any cream of tartar. I also give alternatives to the cream cheese (even dairy free).
- 3 Large Eggs
- 2 Ounces Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/8 teaspoon Baking powder
Pre-heat the oven to 300F and line a 13x9 sheet pan with parchment paper (not wax paper) or a silicone baking mat.
Seperate the egg whites from the egg yolks. Place 2 of the yolks in a medium sized mixing bowl with 2 ounces of softened cream cheese, and the 3 egg whites in a different medium sized mixing bowl. The remaining egg yolk can be saved for a different recipe.
Dust 1/8 teaspoon of baking powder on top of the egg whites. Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer, beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
Next, the egg yolks and softened cream cheese need to be beaten with the hand mixer until there are no lumps.
Now we can take 1/3 of the egg whites and fold them into the egg yolk mixture. Once all folded in, add in another 1/3 of the egg whites and fold those in. Finish with the remaining egg whites.
I like to fold until all of the egg white is incorporated. Egg white not incorporated will just crumble when handled after they are baked.
Scoop the mixture into 6 rounds on the 13 x 9 baking sheet.
Bake in a 300F oven for about 25 minutes.
Remove from the oven when golden and let cool. See notes for freezing.
- Alternatives to cream cheese: Greek Yogurt, sour cream, marscapone cheese, and for a dairy free option, you can use mayonnaise.
- Freezing Instructions: These need to be flash frozen, which means leaving them on the baking tray and putting it in the freezer for 2 hours. If your baking tray will not fit in your freezer, you can fit them on a plate lined with parchment paper, making sure to not let them overlap. If they will not all fit on the plate, flash freeze them in batches.
Once they are frozen, you can remove them from the baking tray and store them stacked with a piece of parchment paper between each one. This is to keep them from sticking. Be sure you use parchment paper and not wax paper!
- Topping ideas: Some seasonings that would be really good sprinkled on top would be Parmesan Cheese, everything bagel seasoning, and cinnamon and sugar. Sprinkle these on before baking.
Serving: 1cloud bread | Calories: 60kcal | Carbohydrates: 0.6g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 5g