Easy Stuffed Green Peppers
A new spin on the traditional stuffed green peppers...this healthy low carb recipe uses cauliflower rice, mushrooms, and Italian sausage. The filing is packed with flavor!
- 4 Green Bell Peppers, tops and seeds removed
- 1 Pound Ground Italian Sausage
- 1 Cup Chopped Mushrooms
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 3 Cups Riced Cauliflower, Fresh or frozen
- 1 ½ Cups Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
Pre-heat the oven to 350F. Place the peppers in an 8x8 baking dish and season the insides with salt. Set aside.
Make the filling: In a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and break up the sausage until no longer pink. Add in the chopped mushrooms, garlic, cauliflower, and 1 cup of the cheese. Taste the mixture and season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
Using a spoon, fill each green pepper with the filling mixture, packing each one full and smoothing out the top. Top with the remaining ½ cup of cheese.
Cover the peppers with foil and bake in the pre-heated oven for 35 minutes. When the time is up, remove the foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Serve.
Nutrition Per Stuffed Pepper: 504 calories / 37g fat / 15g carbs / 5g fiber / 29g protein
- Monterey Jack is my preferred cheese, but you could use cheddar or gouda.
- If you use fresh cauliflower, the cooking time will remain the same as with the frozen. You would just need to follow my tutorial for ricing the cauliflower here: Cauliflower Rice.