French Onion Smothered Chicken is a cheesy, low carb, packed full of flavor recipe… in one skillet! This juicy smothered chicken with caramelized onions is a southern style dinner that will soon be a family favorite on your keto menu!
Related: I get all of my grass fed beef and pasture raised chicken from Butcher Box. Read my honest review here.
HOW TO MAKE FRECH ONION SMOTHERED CHICKEN
Get ready for so much flavor in this keto/low carb friendly dinner!
This caramelized onion smothered chicken breast is so juicy and tender.. the whole family will be asking for seconds!
Let’s get started!
I start with 2 large chicken breast that I cut in half lengthwise. This helps the chicken cook quicker and stay juicy.
Season both sides of the chicken breast with thyme, salt and pepper.
Now heat the avocado oil in a large skillet oven medium high heat.
Brown the chicken breast on both sides and cook until an internal meat thermometer reads 165F.
Remove from heat to a plate and set aside.
Now we need to caramelize the onions for our French onion chicken. This is takes some time but it is so worth it!
Reduce the heat to medium and add the butter, onions and 1/2 cup beef broth to the skillet.
Make sure to cook the onions until browned and caramelized.
Add more beef broth if the onions start to dry out. The caramelized onions should take about 20 minutes.
Add in mushrooms to the caramelized onions and cook for 5 more minutes.
When the onions and mushrooms are finished, add the rest of the beef broth.
I’m pretty sure your kitchen is smelling amazing right about now!
Now add in the chicken breast back to the skillet and use a spoon or tongs to smother them with the onion and mushroom mixture.
Top each chicken breast with a slice of Swiss cheese.
Cover with a lid to melt the cheese. Serve!
You won’t believe your tastebuds with this keto friendly French onion chicken recipe!
⭐ Did you make this French Onion Smothered Chicken Recipe? Tag me on Instagram so I can see! @lowcarbwithjennifer
French Onion Smothered Chicken
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil (Click here for my favorite brand on Amazon)
- 2 large Chicken breast, sliced in half lengthwise
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 2 Cups Thinly sliced onions
- 2 Cups Beef broth
- 8 ounces Baby Bella Mushrooms,sliced
- 4 Slices Swiss cheese
- Season both sides of the chicken breast with thyme, salt and pepper.
- Heat the avocado oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Brown the chicken breast on both sides and cook until an internal thermometer reads 165F.
- Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the butter, onions and 1/2 cup beef broth to the skillet.
- Cook the onions until browned and caramelized. Add more beef broth if the onions start to dry out.
- The caramelized onions will take about 20 minutes.
- Add in the mushrooms to the caramelized onions and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Stir in any remaining beef broth.
- Add the chicken breast back to the skillet and use a spoon or tongs to smother them with the onion and mushroom mixture.
- Top each chicken breast with a slice of swiss cheese.
- Cover with a lid to melt.