The best use of your air fryer is making this air fryer whole chicken. The meat is juicy and the skin is extra crispy like a rotisserie chicken...you are going to love how easy this whole chicken in the air fryer is!
I have made several things in my air fryer that I love, but I think this Air Fryer whole chicken is my new favorite. The chicken is perfectly tender and juicy (even the white meat!) and has extra crispy skin. My family gives it rave reviews! I bet you didn't think you could air fry a whole chicken, but you can! It just depends on how big your air fryer is and how big of a chicken you have.
I love this technique so much more than making a roast chicken in the oven. This air fried whole chicken is more like a rotisserie chicken because of the amazing flavor from the seasonings! A lot of people serve the air fried roast chicken with roasted potatoes for a classic complete meal. I like to pull the meat from the bone and have it on salads for a low carb and keto friendly meal.
More easy air fryer recipes: Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts, Air Fryer Bacon, Air Fryer Chicken Wings, and Air Fryer chicken tenders. This air fryer whole chicken is one of my most popular, though. Along with my air fryer chicken thighs and air fryer chicken breasts!
Air fryer whole chicken recipe
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for this air fryer whole chicken recipe so you can make the best roast chicken the first time, and every time. For a printable recipe, see the recipe card below.
5 - 6 pound chicken, giblets removed
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
How to air fry a whole chicken
This section explains how to make this whole chicken in the air fryer recipe, step by step. For a full printable recipe, see the recipe card below.
This recipe has easy steps but I have a few tricks that will ensure that your chicken does not dry out before it is cooked all of the way through. The most important thing when making an air fryer rotisserie chicken is that you have juicy meat! I would say that is even more important than having super crispy skin.
I started with a chicken that was approximately 5 pounds and I use my 5.7 quart air fryer. You can use a smaller chicken but the cooking time would need to be reduced.
I removed all of the stuff from the cavity and I patted the whole chicken dry with paper towels. This will help the chicken skin crisp up and help your seasoning stick.
Then I combined all of the seasoning blend spices and oil in a small bowl to make a paste.
Coat the entire outside of the chicken with the seasoning rub a basting brush.
Now it's time to put the whole bird in the air fryer basket breast side down. After experimenting, I discovered that if I left the legs up then it was hard to get the basket to open and the chicken legs got way over cooked because they were too close to the heating element. Chicken breast side down for the first 50 minutes of cook time is the best way to keep everything nice and moist so you can have the most delicious air fryer roast chicken.
I cooked the chicken at 360F for 50 minutes breast side down, then I flipped it and did 10 more minutes. It is important to make sure the internal temperature of the chicken is 165F using an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the chicken, usually the breast. You may need to add extra time to the air fryer until the temperature is reached in the breast.
You now need to remove the chicken from the air fryer onto a cutting board and let it rest for 5-10 minutes.
I am telling you now, you will not believe how delicious and juicy chicken in the air fryer is. It really is the easiest way to make the perfect roast chicken!
Is an air fryer big enough for a whole chicken?
It really depends on the size of your air fryer and the size chicken you bought. Most chickens you buy in the store are around 5 to 6 pounds. If you have an air fryer that is smaller than 5 quarts, you may need to find a smaller chicken.
Some newer conventional ovens now have air fry as a setting so you would be able to air fry any size whole chicken in it!
What to do with leftover roast chicken?
- Pull the chicken from the bone and make sandwiches, chicken salad, or enchiladas (save the carcass in a freezer bag to make chicken broth later) for meal prep or a quick weeknight dinner.
- My favorite way is to use in Chicken Noodle soup or any soup that contains shredded chicken.
- Here is a good use for leftover shredded chicken (30+ Shredded Chicken Recipes)
HUNGRY FOR MORE EASY RECIPES? Click here to subscribe to my newsletter and get my 80+ recipe e-cookbook absolutely FREE!
Juicy Air Fryer Whole Chicken with Crispy Skin
- 5-7 lb Whole chicken, giblets removed
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil (Click here for my favorite brand on Amazon) or your favorite cooking oil
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Paprika (I prefer smoked paprika)
- ½ teaspoon Dried basil
- ½ teaspoon Dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon Dried thyme
- Combine all of the seasonings with the oil to make a paste and spread it all over the chicken.
- Place chicken in the basket, breast side down, and cook at 360 degrees F for 50 minutes. Flip the chicken to breast side up and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Check to make sure the internal temperature of your chicken breast meat has an internal temperature of 165F using an instant read thermometer. Continue to cook until the temperature is reached. Remove from the air fryer basket to a cutting board and let rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition per serving
Nutrition is provided as a courtesy only. Please re-calculate on your own with the ingredients and amounts you used for the most accurate data.