Looking for a healthier recipe alternative to add to your Thanksgiving table?! Oven roasted butternut squash with brown butter walnut drizzle… gives you all the Fall comfort you need this season! Simple to make but packed with so much flavor and nutrition!
I love squash! So when I came up with this yummy recipe for Roasted Butternut Squash drizzled with Brown Butter Walnuts, I had to share it with you! Though this recipe is not keto friendly, it is a healthier alternative to those starchy potatoes! This yummy recipe will soon be a family hit this season! So much Fall flavor in every bite!
Let’s get started!
HOW TO PREPARE BUTTERNUT SQUASH
Butternut squash has a tough outer skin that needs to be removed. First chop off the bulbous end of the butternut squash and remove the seeds. Now you can use a really good vegetable peeler or a sharp knife to peel the squash. Finally, chop the squash into cubes.
HOW TO MAKE ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH
First thing you will need to do is preheat the oven to 425F and line a 9×13 sheet pan with parchment paper.
Parchment paper is optional but it really helps with the cleanup! You could also use a silicone baking mat.
Pile the chopped butternut squash on the sheet tray and drizzle the avocado oil on top.
Season with salt and pepper.
Use a large spoon or your hands to toss the butternut squash so the oil, salt and pepper coat the butternut squash evenly.
Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until it is fork tender.
MAKING THE BROWN BUTTER WALNUTS
These are unbelievably addicting and I am not responsible if you eat the entire bowl full and there is none left for the roasted butternut squash!
Brown butter takes some time but it is totally worth it.
First, let the butter melt in an 8 inch skillet over medium to medium high heat. Add in the sage leaves. They will get crispy in the butter and they are so good!
Add in the walnuts when the butter just starts to brown. Continue to cook the butter and walnuts, swirling the pan, until the butter turns a deep brown color.
This will take about 10-15 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat.
Serve it up! Use a pretty serving bowl and pile the roasted butternut squash inside. Top with the walnuts and brown butter. Delicious!
⭐ Did you make this Roasted Butternut Squash with Brown Butter Walnuts Recipe? Tag me on Instagram so I can see! @lowcarbwithjennifer
Roasted Butternut Squash with Brown Butter Walnuts
- 6 Cups Fresh cubed butternut squash
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil (Click here for my favorite brand)
- Generous sprinkling of salt and pepper
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- 1/2 Cup Chopped walnuts
- 4 Sage leaves (optional for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 425F and line a 9x13 sheet pan with parchment paper. (parchment paper is optional but it helps with cleanup.)
- Pile the chopped butternut squash on the sheet tray and drizzle the avocado oil on top.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Use a large spoon or your hands to toss the butternut squash so the oil, salt and pepper coat the butternut squash evenly.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until fork tender.
Making the brown butter walnuts:
- Add the butter to an 8 inch skillet over medium heat.
- Let it melt and add in the sage leaves. The sage leaves will start to fry and get crisp.
- Once the butter starts to brown, add in the walnuts.
- Continue to cook the butter and walnuts, swirling the pan, until the butter browns. This will take about 10-15 minutes.
- Spoon the butternut squash into a serving bowl and top with the brown butter walnuts. Top with the fried sage leaves for garnish.
- Cutting Butternut squash: Already cubed butternut squash is a dream, but can be expensive and hard to find. Remove the bulbous end of the squash and scoop out the seeds. Use a sharp knife or vegetable peeler to peel off the outer tough skin. Chop the squash into cubes with a sharp knife.
- Avocado Oil: This is the preferred cooking oil because it has a high smoke point. Canola oil, sunflower oil, and grapeseed oil would also be good options.