In a matter of minutes, I can show you how to cook flawless Skirt Steak in the air fryer using a quick marinade packed with full-of-flavor spices! Perfect for taco night, fajitas or use as a protein for a salad. Super tender and juicy, this Air Fryer Skirt Steak will be your new favorite way to cook this sometimes tougher meat.
Skirt steak sometimes gets a bad rap because it can be a tougher cut of beef. With this marinade, cooking method, and slicing method, you will have unbelievably delicious and tender skirt steak every time. Plus, this air fryer skirt steak will be the easiest method you have ever tried!
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for this air fryer skirt steak recipe, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For a printable recipe, see the recipe card below.
1 ½ Pound skirt steak - this is what is typically used for fajitas or steak tacos. It is different than flank steak in that it is longer, thinner, and richer in flavor.
2 Tablespoons avocado oil - feel free to use whatever cooking oil you like. Olive oil works!
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon Cumin
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
zest and juice of one lime
¼ Cup chopped cilantro
How to make air fryer skirt steak
This section explains how to make this skirt steak in the air fryer, step by step. For a full printable recipe, see the recipe card below.
In a small mixing bowl combine all the spices. Set aside. Line the air fryer basket or tray with aluminum foil, if desired.
In a larger mixing bowl, add your chopped cilantro, avocado oil, and zest and juice from one lime. Next, stir in your spices. Put the skirt steak in the bowl and coat evenly with the marinade. Cover and let marinate for about 15 minutes.
Preheat the air fryer to 400F.
Once marinated, add your skirt steak to your air fryer basket or tray. Set air fryer to 400F (425F if you air fryer will go that high) and let cook for about 5 minutes on each side...until internal temperature reaches 135F (medium-rare), or your desired level of doneness (use a probe meat thermometer).
Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for up to 10 minutes. Slice on the long end for the most tender bites of skirt steak.
- Skirt steak is a long strip of a tougher cut of meat. Our intuition is to cut it starting on one of the short ends. This would actually be cutting it with the grain, and would yield tough bites of meat. We actually want to cut the steak lengthwise. The easiest way to do this is to cut it in thirds width wise, then cut against the grain.
Yes. Otherwise your steak will not cook evenly. One side will have a nice brown crust and the other side with be pale brown and not as appealing.
You can use this recipe to cook your skirt steak in a skillet, but I think the air fryer comes out on top when it comes to cleanliness and a smoky kitchen. I am not a fan of cooking steaks in a skillet just because of the mess it makes. Other than that, the results will be similar.
I am obsessed with using an internal probe meat thermometer. It guarantees perfectly cooked steak, or any meat. Insert the probe halfway through the thickest part of the steak. 135F is medium-rare.
Reheating steak is never going to be as good as freshly cooked. With that said, you can reheat in the microwave in 1 minute increments, or you can quickly heat it in a hot skillet.
Side dishes to serve with skirt steak in the air fryer
- Use this chimichurri sauce for a flavor bomb
- Homemade keto tortilla chips using tortillas
- Keto Coleslaw
- Keto Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread Muffins
- Keto Cheesy broccoli Tots
Air Fryer Skirt Steak - Perfectly Cooked!
This post may contain affiliate links
- 1 ½ Pound skirt steak
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon Cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- zest and juice of one lime
- ¼ Cup chopped cilantro
- In a small mixing bowl combine all the spices. Set aside. Line the air fryer tray with foil, if desired.
- In a larger mixing bowl, add your chopped cilantro, avocado oil, and zest and juice from one lime. Next, stir in your spices. Put the skirt steak in the bowl and coat evenly with the marinade. Cover and let marinate for about 15 minutes.
- Pre-heat the air fryer to 400FOnce marinated, add your skirt steak to your air fryer. Set air fryer to 400F (425F if you air fryer will go that high) and let cook for about 5 minutes on each side...until internal temperature reaches 135F (medium rare), or the internal temperature of your liking. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for up to 10 minutes. Slice on the long end for the most tender bites of skirt steak.
Nutrition per serving
Nutrition is provided as a courtesy only. Please re-calculate on your own with the ingredients and amounts you used for the most accurate data.