Albondigas Soup is a hearty Mexican meatball soup with a simple soup base made of diced tomatoes, chipotle salsa, and broth.
This easy Albondigas Soup will keep you warm during these cold winter months. It is so full of flavor, yet so easy to make!
To get as much flavor into this Albondigas soup as possible, I used really delicious ingredients. I added chorizo, cumin, and cilantro into the meatballs, as well as smokey chipotle salsa and beef broth for the soup base.
“As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.”
I am a huge fan of soups. I have several on my blog…I really couldn’t tell you which is my favorite, though! Maybe this Mexican meatball soup? Or Low Carb Chicken Noodle Soup, or Low Carb Zuppa Toscana?
To get started with this Albondigas soup, I sautéed my diced onions until they were really soft. I hate crunchy onions in my soup! After they were soft, I added the garlic, bay leaves, diced tomatoes, beef broth, and chipotle salsa.
I actually used Great Value brand Smokey Chipotle Salsa and it is so good! I added half a jar to the soup and it gave so much flavor!
While my onions were getting soft, I mixed up everything for my meatballs. The meatballs consisted of ground beef, chorizo, cilantro, almond flour, half and half, an egg, salt and pepper. Mix everything until it is just combined. If you over mix, you will have tough meatballs.
I used 2 spoons to divide the meat mixture. I scooped with one spoon, then used another spoon to push the mix off onto a sheet pan. After it was all divided out, I rolled them into balls. Each Mexican meatball was about 2 tablespoons.
Now we need to drop the meatballs carefully into the Albondigas soup base. After I got them all on there, I did not stir them because I don’t want them to break apart before they get cooked. I put a lid on the pot and let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
To serve the Albondigas soup, I ladled it into bowls and then topped with lots of fresh cilantro and steamed cauliflower rice that I made using my tutorial for Microwave Cauliflower Rice.
Albondigas Soup (Mexican Meatball Soup)
- 2 tablespoons Avocado oil (Click here for my favorite brand)
- 1 Yellow onion, diced
- 4 Garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 28 oz can Diced tomatoes
- 1 cup Chipotle Salsa
- 32 ounces Beef broth
- 1 pound Ground beef
- 1/2 pound Chorizo
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 cup Half and half
- 6 Tablespoons almond flour (click here to see my favorite brand)
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/3 cup Chopped cilantro, plus more for serving
- Heat oil or ghee in a heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add the diced onion and sauté until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Now add the diced tomatoes, salsa, beef broth, and bay leaves. Reduce heat and let simmer
- Meanwhile, combine the beef, chorizo, almond flour, egg, half and half, cumin, salt, and chopped cilantro in a large bowl. Mix until just combined. Shape into 2 tablespoon sized balls and set aside.
- Add meatballs to soup, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes. Remove the bay leaves and ladle soup into bowls. Serve with extra cilantro and cauliflower rice.
- If you have an aversion to cilantro, you can leave it out or replace it with fresh parsley.
- Over mixing the meatball mixture will result in tough and dense meatballs
- I used 2 spoons to divide the meat mixture. I scooped with one spoon, then used another spoon to push the mix off onto a sheet pan. After it was all divided out, I rolled them into balls.
- Avoid stirring the soup after adding the meatballs so they do not break apart.
⭐ Did you make this Albondigas Soup recipe? Tag me on Instagram so I can see! @lowcarbwithjennifer