Stop buying those frozen bags of cauliflower rice and make your own...Microwave cauliflower rice for half the price!
I am as guilty as anyone when it comes to buying those frozen bags of cauliflower rice for the microwave. They are super convenient...but about double or triple the price of making it yourself! This tutorial for Microwave Cauliflower Rice is going to show you how easy it is to make it yourself.
The few things you are going to need for this microwave cauliflower rice are a large head of cauliflower with the leaves removed, a food processor, and a knife. That's it!
First thing I did was remove the green leaves from the cauliflower, but I left the stem. I'm not sure if you've noticed...but most of the frozen cauliflower rice you buy in the grocery store is all stem! So we're going to use it all!!
“As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.”
Then I cut the cauliflower into quarters. A quarter of the cauliflower is about the max amount you want to put in your food processor. any more and the rice will not be consistent.
I cut a quarter into smaller chunks, then I put it in the food processor and pulsed it until it was the consistency of rice. This didn't take very long, maybe 20 seconds.
I then scooped the rice out and put it in freezer bags. You can go to the trouble of flash freezing the microwave cauliflower rice, but I don't think it is necessary. When I am ready for some cauliflower rice, I pull a bag out of the freezer and break apart the contents with my hands a little.
I then dump the frozen cauliflower rice in a covered microwave safe bowl so it can steam. I used a glass bowl with a lid and microwaved for 5 minutes. I then let it sit for a couple of minutes to cool down a bit.
The cauliflower rice was perfectly cooked! I love keeping this frozen cauliflower rice on hand for my Loaded Cauliflower Casserole, Albondigas Soup, Low Carb Shrimp Recipe and Cauliflower Rice, Low carb stuffed peppers, and Brown Stew Chicken.
Microwave Cauliflower Rice
- 1 Large Head Cauliflower
- Remove the green leaves from the bottom of the cauliflower, leaving the stem.
- Cut the cauliflower into quarters.
- Take one quarter and cut into large chunks. Put into a food processor and pulse 5-6 times until the cauliflower resembles rice.
- Dump the cauliflower into a large bowl.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 for the other 3 portions of cauliflower.
- Spoon the riced cauliflower into 3 quart sized freezer bags. Place in the freezer until ready to use.
- When ready to eat, remove from the freezer and break the riced cauliflower apart with your fingers or drop it on the counter a few times to break it up.
- Dump into a microwave safe bowl and cover with a lid. Microwave on high for 5 to 6 minutes. Let stand for 1 minute before serving. Season as desired
- If you do not own a microwave or you would rather not use one, you can dump the contents into a skillet and sauté with a little butter until they are cooked through.
- If you want to use reusable bags instead of disposable, I have heard very good things about Stasher bags!
NUTRITION PER SERVING
⭐ Did you make this Microwave Cauliflower Rice recipe? Tag me on Instagram so I can see! @lowcarbwithjennifer