I’m a huge fan of chicken parmesan. I’m also a huge fan of meatballs. Put them all together and you have Chicken Parmesan Meatballs… badabum!
I’ve come to realize that my website needs more meatballs of all different flavors. I only have one other meatball recipe and that is my Gluten Free Meatballs with Bacon Tomato Sauce. They are scrumdiddlyumptious!
This chicken parmesan meatball recipe is adapted from a recipe I found on Whatsgabycooking.com Isn’t she the cutest? Her recipe contains breadcrumbs and flour, but I wanted to make it a little more low carb friendly.
For these chicken parmesan meatballs, I first mixed my ground chicken with the seasonings, parmesan, almond flour, and eggs. The mixture will be quite moist.
I scooped up about 2 tablespoons worth of the chicken mixture into my hand and flattened it out. Then I put a mozzarella ball right in the center and completely covered the mozzarella ball with the meatball mixture. It was easy peasy!
“As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.”
I got all of my meatballs made and then I heated 1/2 cup of olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. In batches, I browned the meatballs on all sides. After each batch was browned, I pulled them from the skillet onto a plate.
After they were all browned, I removed all of the meatballs from the skillet, leaving the remaining olive oil. I then poured the marinara sauce into the skillet and whisked it all together.
I then add the meatballs back to the skillet and put it in a 350F oven for 15 minutes.
My favorite marinara sauce used to be Rao’s but the price can be quite shocking. I have been researching every marinara label I come across at the grocery store and I finally found one that is almost as low in carbs as Rao’s. My new favorite is Mezzetta!
Just to compare, Rao’s is $8 with 3 net carbs per serving and Mezzetta is $4.88 with 4 net carbs per serving. Both jars are 24 ounces.
I really don’t think 1 less carb is worth paying almost double the price! Some might disagree.
After I removed the skillet from the oven, I garnished with fresh basil. I have some picky kids and they loved these meatballs!
I served theirs with Dreamfields spaghetti and I had mine with steamed green beans. I talk about using green beans as a pasta substitute in my post on 5 Low Carb Substitutes for Pasta!
Chicken Parmesan Meatballs - Gluten Free
- With your hands, combine the ground chicken, almond flour, parmesan, eggs, salt, pepper, oregano, and parsley in a large bowl.
- Scoop out 2 tablespoons of the mixture and flatten it in your hand. Place a mozzarella ball in the center and bring the meatball mixture up around to completely enclose the meatball. Roll it to make a uniform ball shape.
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Heat a heavy bottom skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add half of the meatballs and brown on all sides. Remove to a plate and add the remaining meatballs to the skillet to brown.
- Remove all meatballs from the skillet and pour in to marinara sauce. Whisk to combine the marinara sauce with the remaining olive oil. Add the meatballs on top of the marinara sauce and place in the oven to bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and garnish with torn basil leaves and parmesan if desired. Serve with zucchini pasta.
- To use these as an appetizer, bake the meatballs without the marinara. Serve with toothpicks and the marinara on the side.
- If you are having problems finding ground chicken, ground turkey is fine.
- Instead of the mozzarella balls, you could cut a mozzarella cheese stick into 1 inch pieces.
⭐ Did you make this Chicken Parmesan Meatballs recipe? Tag me on Instagram so I can see! @lowcarbwithjennifer