These Keto Mashed Potatoes are so creamy and smooth and only use 4 simple ingredients. Cauliflower puree done right makes the best low carb potato substitute. This recipe is so tasty, you will be fighting for the last spoonful!
Keto Mashed Potatoes
If you're wondering what the best low-carb substitute for traditional mashed potatoes is - this is it. In this keto cauliflower mash recipe, steamed cauliflower is combined with butter, cream cheese, and parmesan cheese. In my opinion, it is the perfect side dish for weeknight dinners and special occasions.
Sometime mashed cauliflower can have a distinct cauliflower taste. To get as close to the flavor of regular mashed potatoes as possible, we have to make sure they are flavored well. To get the right texture, we have to make sure we steam them very well.
What you need
Here's what you need for this keto mashed potatoes recipe (the printable recipe card is toward the bottom of this page):
1 large head of cauliflower: My cauliflower yielded 1 ½ pounds of florets. Frozen cauliflower can be used, but frozen may yield really loose keto mashed cauliflower. Frozen would not take as long to cook because it is pre-cooked before freezing. Fresh or frozen cauliflower rice would require a different cooking method.
2 tablespoons butter, 2 ounces cream cheese, ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
Seasoning: Salt and black pepper to taste. You could also add ½ teaspoon garlic powder.
Topping options: Shredded cheddar cheese, fresh herbs, sour cream, chives or green onions, garlic butter, or bacon.
How to make creamy keto mashed cauliflower
It is really important to cook the cauliflower florets until they are so soft they are falling apart. This will ensure your mashed cauliflower is really creamy and not lumpy. My favorite way to do this is with a steamer basket either in the Instant Pot or in a large pot with 1 cup of water.
Once your cauliflower is cooked, it's time to make the mash. My preferred method for pureeing cauliflower is to use a food processor. This will give you creamy cauliflower mash that melts in your mouth. It's also great because you can put your cooked cauliflower with all of your other remaining ingredients in the food processor at once.
Other methods would be using an immersion blender (can be cumbersome) or a potato masher (will probably yield lumpy keto cauliflower mash).
Look at how smooth and creamy this delicious mashed cauliflower looks! This mash, topped with a little bit of melted butter (really drives home that buttery flavor) and some pork chops with keto gravy is a dinner I cannot resist!
Pro tip: I never recommend adding any liquids such as heavy cream, chicken broth, or almond milk as the excess moisture will make your mash thinner.
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese and bacon for loaded low-carb cauliflower mash the whole family will love.
- Serve as a side to my Air Fryer Chicken Thighs, Sirloin Steak Tips, or Keto Chicken Fried Steak
- This is the perfect low-carb alternative to regular mashed potatoes for holidays such as Thanksgiving.
Creamy Keto Mashed Cauliflower "Potatoes" Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links
- 1 large head cauliflower (yields about 1.5 pounds of florets)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Instant pot or large pot with lid
Steam the cauliflower florets
- Add about 1 inch of water and a steamer basket to a large pot with a lid. Add the cauliflower florets to the steamer basket and heat over high heat, until the water begins to boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover with the lid. Cook until the cauliflower is very soft, about 7-10 minutes.
- Alternatively, add 1 cup of water, steamer basket, and then the cauliflower to the instant pot. Close the lid, set the valve to sealing, and cook under high pressure for 5 minutes. When the time is up, quick release the pressure and remove the lid when the pin drops.
Make the keto mashed potatoes (see notes for a thicker mash)
- Food processor: To the food processor cup add the steamed cauliflower, butter, cream cheese, and grated parmesan. Pulse until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Immersion blender: Add the cauliflower florets to a large mixing bowl. Use the immersion blender to mash the florets. stir in the remaining ingredients and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Thicker mash: This cauliflower mash is really creamy. If you would like a thicker mash, you can add the cauliflower florets to a tea towel or nut milk bag after steaming (make sure the cauliflower is cool enough to handle) and squeeze out some of the liquid.
- Cauliflower: Frozen cauliflower can be used, but frozen may yield really loose keto mashed cauliflower. Frozen would not take as long to cook because it is pre-cooked before freezing. Fresh or frozen cauliflower rice would require a different cooking method.
- Storage: in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Nutrition per serving
Nutrition is provided as a courtesy only. Please re-calculate on your own with the ingredients and amounts you used for the most accurate data.