Keto Chicken Fried Steak is an unbelievably delicious low carb recipe, with that Southern touch we all love! When you think of Southern comfort food, Chicken Fried Steak is at the top of the list! Enjoy this crispy coating, creamy mushroom gravy at the keto dinner table tonight! An all-time classic dinner the whole family can enjoy!
Related: I get all of my grass fed beef and pasture raised chicken from Butcher Box. Read my honest review here.
Growing up in the South, Chicken Fried Steak was a common meal around our house.
Now you can enjoy that southern comfort food too, without all the worry of carbs!
Keto Chicken Fried Steak with Mushroom Gravy is a must add to your keto recipe box!
Let’s get started!
HOW TO MAKE KETO CHICKEN FRIED STEAK WITH MUSHROOM GRAVY
Prepare the dredge (coating) station:
In a shallow bowl, combine the crushed pork rinds, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Stir to combine.
Now add the beaten eggs in another shallow bowl.
Now you can dredge the minute steaks.
First coat them in the egg then coat them with the pork rind mixture.
Do this for each minute steak and set aside.
If air frying, spray the inside of the air fryer basket with cooking spray.
Place two minute steaks in the air fryer and cook at 400F for 15 minutes. Be sure to flip halfway through the cooking time for even browning.
Pull those out of the air fryer and place on a sheet pan. Keep them warm in the oven at 200F while you continue with the other two steaks.
Look at those beautiful keto chicken fried steaks!
While the steaks are cooking you can start making the mushroom gravy.
In a large skillet over medium heat cook the mushrooms in the butter until the mushrooms are soft.
This should take about 5 to 8 minutes.
Now that your mushrooms are soft. Add in the heavy cream and the beef broth.
Whisk in the xanthan gum and bring to boil for a few minutes to let it thicken.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve the keto chicken fried steaks topped with some mushroom gravy and enjoy this southern meal classic.. guilt free!
Like this keto friendly air fryer recipe? Check out my other air fryer recipes:
- Air Fryer Pork Tenderloin: This is super juicy and full of flavor with a delicious spice rub!
- Air Fryer Salmon: Perfectly cooked salmon in the air fryer in only 15 minutes!
- 4 Easy Air Fryer Recipes: I show you how to make Brussels sprouts, bacon, chicken breast, and chicken wings!
- Air Fryer Avocado Fries – These are also crusted in pork rind crumbs and they are so addictive!
- Air Fryer Steak Bites and Mushrooms – A quick marinade makes the steak so flavorful!
⭐ Did you make this Keto Chicken Fried Steak with Mushroom Gravy Recipe? Tag me on Instagram so I can see! @lowcarbwithjennifer
Keto Chicken Fried Steak and Mushroom Gravy
For the dredge:
- 3 Ounces Pork rinds, crushed in the food processor
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 4 4 ounce Minute steaks or cube steaks
For the mushroom gravy:
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 8 ounces Baby Bella Mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 Cup Heavy cream
- 1 1/2 Cup Beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (click here to see my favorite brand on Amazon)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Oil if pan frying/Oil spray if air frying
- Prepare the dredge station: In a shallow bowl, combine the crushed pork rinds, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add the beaten eggs in another shallow bowl.
- Dredge the minute steaks. First coat them in the egg then coat them with the pork rind mixture.
- Do this for each minute steak and set aside.
- If air frying, spray the inside of the air fryer basket with cooking spray. See notes for pan frying
- Place two minute steaks in the air fryer and cook at 400F for 15 minutes. Turn the steaks halfway through the cooking time. Remove from the Air Fryer and set aside. To keep them warm, place them on a sheet tray and keep in the oven at its lowest temperature setting (usually 200F) while the other minute steaks cook.
- Continue with the other two steaks.
- While the steaks are cooking make the mushroom gravy.
- In a large skillet over medium heat cook the mushrooms in the butter until the mushrooms are soft. This will take about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add in the heavy cream and beef broth.
- Whisk in the xanthan gum and bring to boil for a few minutes to let thicken.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the minute steaks topped with the mushroom gravy.
- For pan frying the steaks: Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add enough cooking oil to fill the pan 1/4 inch. Preferable oil would be lard or avocado oil. If you are not particular, you could use canola oil. When the oil reaches 375F, cook the keto chicken fried steaks for a few minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels
- What is Xanthan Gum?