I love how these crockpot chicken fajitas marinate while they are cooking but the secret to crockpot chicken fajitas is not cooking the peppers and onions too long. No one likes soggy peppers and onions.
These Crockpot Chicken Fajitas are zesty from the lime juice, full of flavor from the spices, and perfectly juicy. I like to serve them with low carb tortillas, avocado slices, a squeeze of lime, and Mexican crema.
CHICKEN FAJITAS IN THE CROCK POT
While I do love my Instant Pot to make Instant Pot Chicken Breast and a whole chicken, sometimes you want to let the chicken marinate while it is cooking…and that’s where the slow cooker comes in to make these chicken fajitas!
I used 4 large chicken breasts to make this recipe (I love the chicken from Butcherbox…get free bacon and $15 off your first box!), but boneless skinless chicken thighs would be just as good, if not better.
I simply placed them in the crockpot with the marinade and set it on high for 2 hours. I don’t want to put the onions and peppers in yet because they will just turn to mush if they cook that long in the slow cooker.
“As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.”
After the 2 hours was up, I added the sliced onions and peppers right on top of the chicken and seasoned with salt and pepper.
After about an hour, the peppers and onions were done and everything was ready to eat.
Crockpot Chicken Fajitas
- 4 Chicken breast or 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup Lime Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Black Pepper to taste
- 1 Large Onion, sliced
- 3 Bell peppers, any color, sliced
- Avocado, lime, low carb tortillas, Mexican Crema for serving
- Add the chicken to the slow cooker and cover with the lime juice, olive oil, garlic powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Cover with the lid and cook on high for 2 hours
- Add the sliced peppers and onions, season with salt and pepper, and cook on high for 30 minutes - 1 hour more (depending on how crisp you like your peppers and onions)
- when finished, remove the peppers and onions to a platter. Remove the chicken and slice. Spoon some of the remaining juices over the chicken.
- Serve with an extra squeeze of lime, slices of avocado, Mexican Crema, and low carb tortillas
- If you need to cook these all day while you are away, cook them on low and when you get home, add the peppers and onions for 30 minutes - 1 hour (leave the slow cooker on low). If you go this route, you may want to use the chicken thighs so your chicken won't be as dry.
⭐ Did you make this Crockpot Chicken Fajitas recipe? Tag me on Instagram so I can see! @lowcarbwithjennifer