This keto casserole recipe uses delicious beef roast to make the most incredible tamale pie filling (you can also use ground beef and chicken!) We then use coconut flour and cheese to make a "cornbread" topping. This low carb and keto tamale pie is so comforting and delicious, everyone you serve it to will be asking for the recipe!
This low Carb Tamale pie is so comforting and delicious, you would never know that it is low carb. Even my picky son and husband liked it!
SHREDDED BEEF, GROUND BEEF, OF CHICKEN
My favorite way to make this keto tamale pie is with shredded beef. It is saucy and delicious.
I cook mine in the Instant Pot to cut down on the cook time, but it is still a time consuming process.
If you want dinner to be finished more quickly, opt for ground beef or cooked and shredded chicken. Then simply add in the seasonings and continue making the tamale pie as instructed.
My cornbread layer is made with coconut flour, but you could substitute with 2 cups of almond flour.
I also add in cheese, green chiles, and chicken broth. It is so flavorful!
I serve this casserole with pico de Gallo and sour cream. You could also serve with slices of avocado.
Keto casserole recipes are some of my favorites. Be sure to check out some of my other recipes:
- Baked Spaghetti Squash and Chicken Casserole
- Meat Lovers Pizza Casserole
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Chicken Fried Rice Casserole
Keto Tamale Pie with Beef or Chicken
This post may contain affiliate links
- 2 Pounds chuck roast, ground beef, or Cooked Shredded Chicken
- ½ cup water (omit if using ground beef or chicken)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 15 ounce Can Enchilada Sauce, See notes
- 1 4 oz Can diced green chilis
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese, , divided
- 4 eggs, , beaten
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup Coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Cut the chuck roast into large chunks and season with chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper
- place beef and water in Instant Pot and set for 35 minutes, when finished cooking, let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then quick release the rest. (see notes for ground beef or chicken)
- Remove beef from instant pot and shred with 2 forks
- preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Combine shredded beef, enchilada sauce, and green chilis in a bowl
- pour into a 9x13 rectangle casserole dish.
- top with 2 cups of cheese
- To make the "cornbread" top: combine beaten eggs and chicken broth in a bowl
- In a separate bowl combine coconut flour and baking soda
- add the coconut flour mixture to the egg mixture
- add remaining cup of cheese to the batter. If it seems too thick, add more chicken broth. It should be easy to spread and not dry.
- spread over the top of the beef and cheese in casserole dish
- bake for 35-40 minutes until bubbly
- Serve with pico de gallo and sour cream
- Shredded beef, ground beef or chicken: My favorite way to make this is with the shredded beef but that can be time consuming. For time saving, use ground beef or shredded chicken.
- Enchilada Sauce: I like to use Whole Foods 365 enchilada sauce in the 15 oz jar because its sugar free.
- Ground Beef or Chicken: Use ground beef or Chicken to cut down on cooking time. Brown the beef in a large skillet and add the seasonings. Then continue with step 5.
- Nutrition for ⅛th of the recipe: Includes just the casserole using shredded beef, not the toppings
- Almond Flour: use 2 cups of almond flour in place of the coconut flour.
Nutrition per serving
Nutrition is provided as a courtesy only. Please re-calculate on your own with the ingredients and amounts you used for the most accurate data.