This low carb tamale pie is so comforting and delicious, everyone you serve it to will be asking for the recipe!
“As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.”
I hope everyone is having nice weather where you’re at! It is starting to warm up here and I cannot wait to get some flowers planted in the Spring. I’m usually really horrible at keeping any plants alive, but this year I am challenging myself to not kill anything! I’ll let you know how that goes, lol! What do you love to plant in the Spring? I’m looking for some ideas!
One thing I would love to grow is green bell pepper because I love them so much. I didn’t use any in this low Carb Tamale pie, but I think that would be a good addition. I love Mexican food but I had never made Tamale pie! I had always wanted to try it out but I had the added challenge of making it low carb…well challenge accepted!
This low Carb Tamale pie is so comforting and delicious, you would never know that it is low carb. Even my picky son and husband liked it!
For this low Carb Tamale pie, I used a chuck roast cooked in the Instant Pot as my meat base. I simply did this because that’s what I had on hand. You can definitely simplify this recipe by using ground beef instead!
Did you know that pico de gallo is the perfect garnish for tamale pie? Well you do now! Did you also know that pico de gallo is supposed to have jalapeño? Well, mine doesn’t because I am a weenie! Seriously though, make you some pico de gallo and dump it on top of this low carb tamale pie. You will not be sorry.
Low Carb Tamale Pie
- Cut the chuck roast into large chunks and season with chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper
- place beef and water in Instant Pot and set for 35 minutes, let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then quick release the rest
- Remove beef from instant pot and shred with 2 forks
- Alternatively, you can cook in the slow cooker for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
- preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Combine shredded beef, enchilada sauce, and green chilis in a bowl
- pour into a rectangle casserole dish
- top with 2 cups of cheese
- To make the "cornbread" top: combine beaten eggs and chicken broth in a bowl
- In a separate bowl combine coconut flour and baking soda
- add the coconut flour mixture to the egg mixture
- add remaining cup of cheese to the batter. If it seems too thick, add more chicken broth. It should be easy to spread and not dry.
- spread over the top of the beef and cheese in casserole dish
- bake for 35-40 minutes until bubbly
- Serve with pico de gallo and sour cream