The whole family will love this delicious keto taco casserole recipe and you will especially love it for busy weeknights! This keto ground beef casserole recipe cooks up in no time. Make it a complete meal by serving it with your favorite taco toppings.
Cheesy keto ground beef casserole
There is nothing more American comfort food than a good casserole. This cheesy keto taco casserole recipe will be the perfect taco Tuesday meal for picky eaters. It is also perfect for meal prep!
I love the Mexican flavors this low carb casserole gives, but with simple ingredients. In fact, this recipe only uses 7 ingredients and has only 4 g net carbs!
Keto ground beef casserole recipes are really popular, and with good reason. Cooking ground beef and making it a meal is so quick and easy. I especially love my Keto cheeseburger Casserole recipe and keto taco pie. Or for a chicken casserole, checkout my Keto chicken bacon ranch casserole!
Keto taco bake ingredients
This easy keto taco casserole recipe uses simple ingredients, but I provide swap options incase you want to make this easy dinner recipe your own. The full printable recipe card with exact measurements is toward the bottom of the page.
Ground beef: Of course, for this keto ground beef casserole, we use hamburger meat as the meat base. I actually prefer lean ground beef so the meat mixture is less greasy. You can also use ground turkey.
Taco seasoning: I just go ahead and use a taco seasoning packet because it provides so much flavor to Mexican dishes. There are some good quality ones out there like Siete. You can also make your own homemade taco seasoning.
Diced tomatoes with green chiles: This is a product called Rotel, but there are other brands as well. There are also different heat levels: mild, medium, and hot. I prefer to use the mild. You could also use salsa.
Shredded cheese: I like to use a Mexican blend of shredded cheese that includes cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack. Pepper jack would also be good.
The remaining ingredients needed are cooking oil, onion, and garlic.
How to make keto taco casserole
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the diced onion and garlic to the skillet and cook until the onion is translucent. About 5-8 minutes.
Add the ground beef to the pan and cook and crumble the meat until it is heated through. This will take about 8 minutes. Stir in the taco seasoning and a little water.
Spoon the ground beef mixture into a casserole dish. Now stir in the Rotel and 1 cup of shredded cheese into the taco meat. Finally, top with the remaining cheese.
Bake in the pre-heated oven for 20 minutes, or until the cheese melts and is turning golden brown.
Serving and storage
Serving: This Mexican casserole goes great with side dishes such as Mexican Cauliflower Rice or Keto Jalapeno cornbread muffins. Add your favorite toppings such as sour cream, green onions, black olives, sliced avocado, and hot sauce are a great way to make this a hearty meal for taco night. It is sure to be a dinner time family favorite.
This keto casserole would also be great served as a taco bowl with keto tortilla chips or taco shells, and fresh vegetables like shredded lettuce and diced tomatoes.
Storage: Store this low carb taco casserole recipe in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Eat leftovers with low-carb tortillas that can be found at your local grocery store in the Mexican food isle.
Easy Keto Ground Beef Taco Casserole Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil, or olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 10 ounces Diced tomatoes with green chilis
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese or a Colby jack
- Toppings such as tomatoes, avocado, or sour cream
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the diced onion and garlic to the skillet and cook until the onion is translucent. About 5-8 minutes.
- Add the ground beef to the pan and cook and crumble the meat until it is heated through. This will take about 8 minutes. Stir in the taco seasoning and ¼ cup of water.
- Spoon the ground beef mixture into a casserole or baking dish. Now stir in the Rotel and 1 cup of shredded cheese. Finally, top with the remaining cheese mixture.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 20 minutes, or until the cheese melts and is turning golden brown.
- If you would like more vegetables in your healthy casserole, add diced green bell peppers with the ground meat mixture.
- Diced tomatoes with green chiles: This is a product called Rotel, but there are other brands as well. There are also different heat levels: mild, medium, and hot. I prefer to use the mild. You could also use salsa.
Nutrition per serving
Nutrition is provided as a courtesy only. Please re-calculate on your own with the ingredients and amounts you used for the most accurate data.