This Keto Chicken Casserole recipe combines shredded chicken breasts and vegetables with an amazing creamy sauce, then it is covered in gooey cheddar cheese. It is definitely a low carb casserole the whole family will love!
Keto Chicken Casserole Recipe
If you're looking for a great way to use up leftover chicken, this is the easy chicken recipe for you. This creamy keto chicken casserole is a great option for meal prep, busy weeknights, and it is an easy meal that is perfect for the entire family. The good news is this keto meal uses simple ingredients, has simple steps, and is only 6 net carbs. I know it will be a new family favorite!
This low-carb casserole uses simple ingredients, but I provide options incase you want to make this delicious chicken recipe your own. The full printable recipe card with exact measurements is toward the bottom of the page.
Fresh Broccoli and cauliflower florets: This creamy chicken recipe specifies fresh broccoli and cauliflower. I would hesitate to use frozen as the vegetables may be mushy in the final casserole. The only exception would be frozen cauliflower rice. It seems to hold up very well in casseroles like my Loaded Cauliflower Rice Casserole.
Shredded Chicken Breast: Since this recipe is on the heavy side with the delicious creamy sauce and cheesy topping, I personally prefer to use chicken breast. Feel free to use any type of chicken, especially rotisserie chicken, as that would add a lot of flavor. If you prefer to use shredded chicken thighs, that will work as well for this delicious casserole.
For a quick recipe to make shredded chicken breast, try my Instant Pot chicken breast recipe.
Shredded Cheddar Cheese: I like the flavor of cheddar, especially sharp cheddar. However, this recipe will work with just about any kind of shredded cheese. A combo of shredded parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese, or even Monterey Jack cheese would be delicious.
- Crunchy topping idea: Traditional casseroles sometimes use ritz crackers for a crunchy topping. While delicious, it is not ideal for the keto diet. Some other options would be bacon crumbles or crushed pork rinds.
Storage and meal prep
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. I find keto casserole recipes better the next day!
- Due to the creamy nature of this recipe, I do not recommend freezing.
- Meal Prep: I like to divide keto casserole recipes into the number of servings the recipe makes (in this instance, 6), and keep it stored in the refrigerator in individual containers. To make sure you have an accurate serving, you can weigh each portion with a kitchen scale.
Make this low carb dinner a complete meal
- Keto Green Beans with Crispy Bacon
- A simple salad using my 24 calorie ranch dressing
- Delicata Squash "Fries"
- Skip the sides and save room for Keto Chocolate Mousse
Keto Chicken and Vegetable Casserole - Creamy & Cheesy
This post may contain affiliate links
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 3 cups fresh cauliflower florets
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened, (note, I used Light cream cheese)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken breast, (rotisserie chicken works well)
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 quart baking dish
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- Steam the broccoli and cauliflower: Heat 1 inch of water in a saucepan with a steamer basket over high heat, until it begins to boil. Add the broccoli and cauliflower to the steamer basket, season with ½ teaspoon salt, cover, reduce to medium heat, and let cook for 5 minutes or until fork tender. (If you do not have a steamer basket, you can just add the florets directly to the boiling water.). Remove from the heat and remove the tender broccoli and cauliflower from the pan to let cool and stop the cooking process.
- Make the sauce: In a measuring cup or small bowl, whisk together the heavy whipping cream, cream cheese, and the rest of the seasonings. If the cream cheese is too thick, microwave the sauce in 15 second increments until it mixes easily. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the shredded chicken, steamed broccoli and cauliflower, and the shredded carrot. Pour the sauce over top and stir well. Pour into a 4 quart casserole dish and spread into an even layer. To save dishes, you can just mix everything in the casserole dish. Sprinkle the shredded cheese evenly over the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven, uncovered, 20 minutes, or until the cheese is starting to brown and bubble.
Nutrition per serving
Nutrition is provided as a courtesy only. Please re-calculate on your own with the ingredients and amounts you used for the most accurate data.