I think it is time to share my recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Breast. This easy chicken recipe will be a staple because this chicken can be used for everything!
Do you know how much I love my Instant Pot Pressure Cooker? I have posted about my love for it several times…like in this Pressure Cooker Pot Roast recipe and in this post on perfect boiled eggs. It basically lives on my counter.
I use this Instant Pot chicken breast for salads, tacos, enchiladas, soup…and in my weekly meal prep!
And get this…I use frozen chicken breasts! No need to thaw, just throw them in the pot with your seasonings and some water and they will be amazing.
The seasonings I used for this Instant Pot chicken breast were garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. To make the flavor more neutral, you can omit the chili powder and the cumin.
HOW LONG DO YOU PRESSURE COOK CHICKEN BREAST?
The best cook time for boneless skinless chicken breast in the Instant Pot is 10 minutes, followed by a 10 minute natural pressure release.
I have tested this Instant Pot chicken breast recipe with fresh and frozen chicken breast, and 2 to 6 chicken breast. The Instant Pot still only needs 10 minutes under high pressure to get them perfectly cooked.
As you can see, I shredded these boneless skinless chicken breast, but you don’t have to! When the pressure cooker is finished and you release the pressure, just pull them out of the pot and then you can shred them or cut them into chunks.
In my testing, I tried to cut the time for this Instant Pot chicken breast recipe as much as possible but chicken breast, or any meat actually, really need that 10 minute natural release. It’s like letting your meat rest after cooking.
This Instant Pot shredded chicken breast recipe is ready in under 30 minutes and the flavors are completely customizable!
- 6 Chicken Breasts fresh or frozen
- 3/4 cup Water
- 3 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper
Add all ingredients to an electric pressure cooker, lock the lid, and set the valve to "sealing"
Set the timer for 10 minutes. When finished cooking, let naturally release for 10 minutes. Release the rest of the pressure using "quick release" and, after the pin drops, carefully remove the lid.
Using 2 forks or a hand mixer, shred the chicken.
Serve in chicken taco salads or burrito bowls.
- If you want chicken that has a more neutral flavor, omit the cumin and the chili powder.
- This shredded chicken would be a good addition to soups, stews, casseroles, tacos, salad. The possibilities are endless!
- You can use fresh or frozen chicken, the cook time you set the Instant Pot for is the same. The time it takes to come to pressure will be longer for frozen chicken.
- The chicken will release a lot of water while they are cooking. I shred them in the liquid and then serve the chicken with tongs. You could also remove them from the liquid and shred them, adding a little liquid to keep them moist.
- The prep time I listed includes the time it takes for the pot to come to pressure and the 10 minutes for the natural release.
⭐️ Did you make this Instant Pot Chicken Breast recipe? Tag me on Instagram so I can see! @lowcarbwithjennifer