These instant pot chicken legs are smothered in your favorite BBQ sauce. You will not believe how tender and juicy these are! This will be your new go to chicken drumstick recipe!
Related: I get all of my grass fed beef and pasture raised chicken from Butcher Box. Read my honest review here.
I am still dreaming about these Instant Pot Chicken Drumsticks…that’s how good they were. The meat was so tender it just melted in your mouth. The Instant Pot does an excellent job of breaking down any kind of meat and making it juicy and perfect.
The cook time for drumsticks in the Instant Pot is a total of 30 minutes. 10 minutes for the pot to come to pressure, 10 minutes of actual cook time, and 10 minutes of letting the pressure release.
These chicken legs are so full of flavor because we first coat them with a delicious rub, then your favorite BBQ sauce.
The rub consists of paprika, dry mustard, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, salt and pepper. Mix all of those seasonings in a small bowl and then rub it all over the chicken legs.
Pour 1 cup of water or broth into the instant pot insert, followed by the trivet and finally the chicken drumsticks.
What is the trivet?
Most electric pressure cookers come with a trivet that is a basket or stand insert for the Instant Pot. This helps keep your food up out of the the liquid that is necessary for pressure cooking.
If you are missing the trivet that came with your Instant pot, you can use anything oven safe that will fit in the instant pot and will keep the meat off of the bottom. A metal steamer basket would work perfectly!
Now it’s time for your favorite BBQ sauce to be brushed all over the chicken legs.
I prefer to use a sugar free sauce to keep this keto friendly, but this is totally up to you. You could even make your own!
Now, we just seal the lid and set the Instant Pot to cook at high pressure for 10 minutes, followed by a 10 minute natural pressure release.
Quick release the rest of the pressure.
When the pin drops you can carefully remove the lid.
This next step is optional, but totally worth it. Remove all of the chicken to a foil lined baking sheet and coat each one with more BBQ sauce. Place under the broiler of the oven and broil until the sauce starts to bubble. This took about 5 minutes.
The result is amazingly flavorful BBQ chicken legs that just melt in your mouth. You will not regret making this recipe.
Can frozen drumsticks be used?
This recipe would work with frozen chicken drumsticks. Just make sure to coat the frozen drumsticks with the seasonings so none fall off. You would also want to increase the cook time by 5 minutes.
Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Legs
- 1 Cup Water or broth, See notes
- 1 Tablespoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Dry Mustard
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt and pepper
- ½ teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 Chicken Drumsticks (see notes for frozen)
- 1 ½ Cups BBQ Sauce, Divided (Click here to see my favorite brand on Amazon)
- Electric Pressure Cooker (Instant Pot)
- Mix the spices and salt and pepper in a small bowl. Place the drumsticks in a large bowl and rub with the spice mixture.
- Add 1 cup of water and the trivet to the inner pot of the instant pot. Place the chicken legs on the trivet. Pour 1 cup of bbq sauce on the legs and spread with a basting brush.
- Lock the lid of the Instant pot and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes, followed by a 10 minute natural pressure release. Release the rest of the pressure manually, then when the pin drops, remove the lid.
- Pre-heat the broiler of your oven. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Carefully place the chicken legs on the foil in a single layer. Use a basting brush to brush the remaining BBQ sauce on the chicken legs.
- Place the chicken legs in the oven under the broiler and broil until the sauce starts to bubble and caramelize. About 5 minutes. Serve
- Please use the required amount of water per your Instant Pot operating instructions.
- Use your favorite BBQ sauce. My favorite sugar free BBQ sauce is this one
- This recipe would work with frozen chicken drumsticks. Just make sure to coat the frozen drumsticks with the seasonings so none fall off. You would also want to increase the cook time by 5 minutes.