This cream of cauliflower soup recipe has smoky bacon and is gluten free (no roux!), low carb, keto, and really easy to make.
The Best time to write about Cream of Cauliflower Soup is when you’re eating a big bowlful. That’s what I think anyway. This low carb soup is creamy and delicious. Such a perfect and easy soup.
I used to loathe cauliflower. I absolutely thought it was disgusting…I’m sure some of you can relate. I was never fed cauliflower as a kid; probably because kids hate vegetables (I was no exception), and cauliflower hadn’t yet come into stardom as it has now.
This cream of cauliflower soup is not made with a roux, but it is still thick enough to be a good creamy, low carb soup, without being so thick that it weighs you down. The small amount of onion gives so much flavor that I think it is absolutely necessary, but if you would like to leave it out to lower the carb count a little more, I wouldn’t hold it against you.
This cream of cauliflower soup is really easy to pull together. You can make it even easier by buying already chopped cauliflower. You can buy the riced cauliflower, but I prefer my soup a little more chunky and the riced cauliflower would give you a smoother soup.
HOW TO MAKE CREAM OF CAULIFLOWER SOUP
Firsts things first, slice your bacon into lardons (that’s just a fancy word for strips), and chop your onion.
“As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.”
You want to saute your bacon strips in a heavy bottom pot until they are crispy. Remove some of the bacon fat from the pan, leaving 2 tablespoons. Now you can choose to remove the bacon from the pan and add it back later, or you can leave it in the whole time the soup cooks. I chose to leave my bacon in and the bacon gets soggy through the cooking process of the soup. I don’t mind that, but if you do, you should remove it.
Add your chopped onion to the bacon grease and let them cook on medium low until tender.
Add your chicken broth and cauliflower to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and let the cauliflower cook until it is tender. Now you can choose to leave your soup a bit chunkier, or you can use a potato masher to mash the cauliflower a bit more and make it a true cream of cauliflower soup.
Now for the fun part…adding the cream and the cream cheese! Cut your cream cheese into smaller squares so it will melt into the soup faster. Your cream cheese will look grainy, but be patient and it will melt into your soup beautifully.
Doesn’t that look scrumptious!
Cream of Cauliflower Soup
- Saute bacon over medium-hi heat in a heavy bottom pan until crispy
- Remove all but 2 tablespoons of bacon grease and bacon, if desired
- add onion and saute over medium heat until soft
- add chicken broth and chopped cauliflower, bring to a boil
- Reduce to simmer and let the cauliflower cook until fork tender
- mash the cauliflower with a potato masher, if desired
- add heavy cream and cream cheese. Stir until cream cheese is completely melted
- season with salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish with reserved sautéed bacon, yummy!
- If you want to add a little more flavor to the cauliflower, you could roast it in the oven on a sheet pan and then add it to the soup. Place the florets on a sheet pan and toss with salt and a tbsp of oil. Roast at 450F for about 20 minutes.
- You could freeze this cauliflower soup but it may separate a bit after defrosting.
- Cut your cream cheese into smaller squares so it will melt into the soup faster. Your cream cheese will look grainy at first, but be patient and it will melt into your soup beautifully.
⭐ Did you make this Cream of Cauliflower Soup recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!