Any kind of vegetable sliced and doused in a creamy cheese sauce is simply magical. Zucchini is no exception so I present to you this luscious Zucchini Casserole that will make you think you have died and gone to low carb heaven.
This baked zucchini casserole only uses 5 ingredients and it is so pretty! This would make good use of the abundance of zucchini coming from everyone’s gardens right about now.
HOW TO AVOID WATERY ZUCCHINI CASSEROLE
Everyone knows that zucchini can get pretty watery when it is cooked because it is mostly water. What I do to eliminate some of the water in the casserole is to salt the zucchini slices in a large bowl with a colander, and let them drain for at least 30 minutes. Then I lined them nicely in a pie plate.
“As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.”
For the cheesy sauce in this zucchini casserole, I used Monterey jack cheese. You could use Swiss or gruyere, but I like Monterey jack! To make the sauce, I warmed heavy cream on the stove, then removed it from the heat. Then I added the cheese and stirred it until it was completely melted.
I then poured the creamy, cheesy sauce all over the zucchini.
I sprinkled a little Italian seasoning on top and baked it in the oven until it was bubbly.
Here are some other delicious low carb side dishes that you should definitely check out:
- Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- Broccoli Salad with Pine Nuts and Feta
- Leek and Mushroom Cauliflower Risotto
- Loaded Cauliflower Casserole
HOW TO MAKE ZUCCHINI CASSEROLE VIDEO:
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F
- Toss the zucchini slices with the salt in a large bowl and let sit for at least 30 minutes. This will pull moisture from the zucchini so your casserole will not be watery.
- In a small sauce pan, heat the heavy cream over medium heat. Remove from the heat and add the cheese, stirring until melted.
- In a pie plate, arrange the zucchini in a circular pattern. Pour the cheese mixture over the zucchini and sprinkle the Italian seasoning over top. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until the sauce starts to brown and becomes bubbly.
- Salt helps draw moisture from the zucchini so your casserole will not be too watery.
- Slice your zucchini in even slices so they will cook evenly.
- Try to pick zucchini that are large and uniform in width from tip to tip.
- You could use any white cheese such as gruyere or Swiss instead of the Monterey jack.
⭐ Did you make this Zucchini Casserole recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!