Want an unbelievably easy, low carb muffin recipe with gooey chocolate chips in every bite? Keto Chocolate Chip Muffins are the perfect healthier alternate if you're trying to cut back on all the sugary treats your kiddos have! Your family will not believe how good these keto friendly chocolate chip muffins are! Sugar free never tasted so good!
I wanted a keto chocolate chip muffin that tasted just like the real thing, or surprisingly close, and was low in carbs and lower in calories. I also wanted a sugar free muffin that my kids would eat with no hesitation.
After much research and testing, I discovered that using Greek Yogurt combined with baking soda gives me the light and fluffy muffins I was looking for. Also, the use of my favorite sweetener makes them surprisingly taste like they were sweetened with sugar but they are sugar free. My kids love them!
These muffins are only 166 calories and 2 net carbs.
How to make these keto chocolate chip muffins
First let's preheat the oven to 400F and line a 12 cup muffin pan with liners.
You'll need to spray the inside of the liners with cooking spray so the muffins do not stick.
Now, in a large mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, baking soda, salt and sweetener. That's all for our dry ingredients.
Go ahead and add in the beaten eggs, greek yogurt and vanilla extract. You can use any kind of unsweetened greek yogurt you like. I have used fat free and full fat with good results.
Finally, fold in the chocolate chips. My favorite sugar free chocolate chips are Lily's brand. They are made with stevia and so delicious! If you want to be fancy, you can reserve ¼ cup of the chocolate chips and put them on top of the muffins before baking.
Scoop the low carb muffin batter into the muffin cups evenly using a scoop. I use a ¼ cup ice cream scoop that makes the most perfect muffins!
Bake the keto chocolate chip muffins in the oven for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
These taste just like a bakery style chocolate chip muffin! You won't believe how yummy they are!
Can I use sour cream instead of Greek Yogurt?
I have tried sour cream in this muffin recipe and it works perfectly. My only hesitation with sour cream is that it has much more calories than Greek Yogurt. In fact, sour cream in over 400 Calories per cup while Greek Yogurt is just 180 calories per cup. Quite a difference!
What if I can't find Lily's chocolate chips?
Lily's chocolate chips can be found on Amazon (you can purchase them here) or they are in most grocery stores now, even Wal-mart! If you still cannot find them, I would suggest using a 85-90% dark chocolate bar cut into chunks. You would need enough to equal a cup after it is chopped and this will probably change the nutrition values depending on which brand you use.
Keto Chocolate Chip Muffins - 2 Net Carbs
- 2 ½ Cups almond flour (click here to see my favorite on Amazon)
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ Cup Granulated sweetener (Click here to see my favorite on Amazon)
- 3 Large eggs, beaten
- 8 ounces Greek Yogurt
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 4.5 ounces Sugar free Chocolate Chips (Click here to see my favorite brand on Amazon)
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F and line a 12 cup muffin pan with liners.
- Spray the inside of the liners with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, baking soda, salt and sweetener.
- Now add in the beaten eggs, greek yogurt and vanilla extract.
- Finally, fold in the chocolate chips (optional: reserve about ¼ cup to sprinkle on the tops)
- Scoop the batter into the muffin cups evenly using a scoop.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- You can use any kind of unsweetened greek yogurt you like. I have used fat free and full fat with good results.
- I use a ¼ cup ice cream scoop that makes the most perfect muffins!
Nutrition per serving
Nutrition is provided as a courtesy only. Please re-calculate on your own with the ingredients and amounts you used for the most accurate data.