Grab a cup of coffee, a piece of this rich and perfectly moist Keto Coffee Cake, and enjoy a beautiful morning. This easy to make sweet treat uses a simple keto cake batter, then a 4 ingredient cinnamon swirl is studded throughout the cake before baking. It will be the perfect way to start the day!
Keto Coffee Cake
While I do have a recipe for keto coffee cake muffins, this cake recipe is somewhat different. I wanted a moist cake with a rich cinnamon swirl...not a dry crumble. Something that you would excitedly serve to guests or enjoy on a pretty plate with your morning coffee.
Classic coffee cake recipes use a crumble in the center of the cake and then more spread on top. This can be quite cumbersome to prepare: spreading a thin layer of batter, then a layer of crumble, more batter, and finally the rest of the crumb topping.
In this recipe I created a thick cinnamon batter that is dotted into the coffee cake before baking and when it bakes, the batter rises above the cinnamon swirl which results a beautiful cinnamon swirled masterpiece that is visible on top of the cake and when you cut it open.
I have provided the full ingredient list and step-by-step instructions with photos here for your convenience. If you would like to print the recipe please click here to be taken to the recipe card.
For the cinnamon swirl:
- ⅔ cup (75g) almond flour- Make sure your almond flour is finely ground for best texture and a more tender crumb. Avoid almond meal as it could result in a gritty texture.
- ⅓ cup (16g) sugar free brown sugar substitute, packed- Each part of this recipe uses a different type of sweetener. Having to buy 3 types of keto sweeteners may not be feasible or desirable. For simplicity, you could use the powdered sweetener required for the icing in all 3 parts of the recipe. For best results though, you would want to use the 3 different types.
- 1 ½ (4g) teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup (57g) melted butter - either unsalted butter or salted will work.
For the main cake batter:
- 2 cups (224g) almond flour
- ¾ cup (192g) sugar free granulated sweetener - my favorite is Lakanto monkfruit blend.
- 1 teaspoon (4g) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (2g) baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, beaten - These are the glue that holds our gluten-free coffee cake together. they do not need to be room temperature as the main batter does not contain butter.
- ½ cup (120g) plain Greek Yogurt or sour cream - truly either will work. The combination of the acidic dairy with the baking soda gives a great rise to the cake.
- 2 teaspoons (8g) vanilla extract
The icing is ½ cup (96g) of powdered sweetener, 2 tablespoons (30mL) of heavy cream, a pinch of salt, and ½ teaspoon (2g) vanilla extract all whisked together until smooth. Add a little water until it is pourable.
Prepare the cake pan
You want to make sure you can easily remove the keto coffee cake from the pan. I recommend spraying your pan with cooking spray, or greasing it with butter. Then create 2 parchment paper slings that overlap and hang over the edge.
Make the batter
This recipe may seem like a lot of ingredients, but the steps are really simple. You can have it made in less than an hour. I wanted a sugar-free coffee cake recipe that didn't need an electric mixer or a food processor.
- Combine all of the cinnamon filling ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside. The batter will be thick.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the cake batter dry ingredients, then incorporate the wet ingredients. Pour the coffee cake batter into the prepared pan.
- Distribute chunks of the cinnamon batter evenly on top of the cake batter.
- Bake in a 350F (175C) oven for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Make sure you let the cake cool in the pan for 15-30 minutes before attempting to remove it. Once to get it out, you can cut it into 12 servings and drizzle the icing on top.
- Can coconut flour be used in place of the almond flour? No, coconut flour is not a 1 for 1 substitute, but you may be able to use sunflower seed flour.
- How can I make this low carb coffee cake recipe dairy free? You would need to use coconut oil instead of the butter, a dairy free yogurt in the batter, and unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk in the icing.
Store the keto coffee cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days, or in the freezer for up to 2 months. Wrap in plastic wrap for best results.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious keto cakes:
- Pumpkin Pie Muffins with Crumble Topping
- Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- German Chocolate Cake
- Double Chocolate Bundt Cake
HUNGRY FOR MORE EASY RECIPES? Click here to subscribe to my newsletter and get my 80+ recipe e-cookbook absolutely FREE!
Easy Keto Coffee Cake Recipe with Cinnamon Swirl
This post may contain affiliate links
For the swirl
- ⅔ cup almond flour
- ⅓ cup sugar free brown sweetener, packed, (note 1)
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup melted butter
For the cake
For the icing (optional)
- ½ cup sugar free powdered sweetener, (note 1)
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- water for thinning
- 9x9 metal cake pan 23x23 cm
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F (175C) and grease a 9x9 inch (23x23 cm) metal cake pan with butter or cooking spray and create a parchment paper "sling" so the cake can easily be removed from the pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the swirl ingredients. Mixture will be thick. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the almond flour, sweetener, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in the eggs, Greek Yogurt or sour cream, and vanilla. Pour into the prepared dish.
- Distribute the cinnamon mixture evenly around the cake batter. As it bakes, the batter will rise around the mixture, resembling a swirl. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for 15-30 minutes
- In a small bowl, whisk together the icing ingredients. Add water ½ tablespoon at a time to make it thin enough to drizzle. Drizzle the icing evenly all over the cake. Cut into 12 squares and serve.
- Sweeteners: Having to buy 3 types of keto sweetener may not be feasible. For simplicity, you could use the powdered for all 3 parts to the recipe. For best results, you would want to use the 3 different types.
Nutrition per serving
Nutrition is provided as a courtesy only. Please re-calculate on your own with the ingredients and amounts you used for the most accurate data.