This Keto and Sugar free Carrot Cake Cupcake recipe takes an American classic and makes it low carb and gluten free friendly. One of my all time favorites. A moist and perfectly spiced almond flour cupcake topped with a rich and creamy cream cheese icing.
If you grew up in America, you are familiar with carrot cake. It is especially popular this time of year when Springtime is approaching. Let us forget about our troubles for 1 hour and make keto carrot cake muffins!
Perfectly spiced cupcakes with carrots
Yes, carrots. 1 whole cup to be exact so it will not impact the carb count too much. I used pre-shredded carrots from the grocery store but you can definitely shred your own.
The pre-shredded carrots were a little thick so I pulsed them in a mini food processor. You can see the texture I was left with in the photo below.
What's that sour cream in the bowl? Actually, it is Greek Yogurt.
I love the fluffiness I get in my muffins by adding Greek Yogurt and then using baking soda to lift them right up into fluffy pillows.
This almond flour cupcake recipe is one I have been using for all of my keto muffins and cupcakes. I love the results so it is easy to add different flavors for different results. Like adding chocolate chips for my keto chocolate chip muffins, adding banana extract and walnuts for my keto banana bread muffins, adding blueberries to make keto blueberry muffins, and adding some spices and carrots for this sugar free carrot cake cupcake recipe.
Alternative for almond flour
Coconut flour is the common alternative but it is not my favorite. It is like a sponge and the liquid ingredients would need to be increased to compensate so I do not recommend it.
I have heard good things about sunflower seed flour being a good 1 for 1 substitute for almond flour. If you have an almond allergy, be sure to try it out.
This recipe makes 12 cupcakes and the batter is the perfect amount to fill each cupcake liner.
A quick tip for cupcakes that peel right out of the liners - spray the insides with cooking spray!
Cream cheese frosting
Do you call it frosting or icing? I'm from the South so for me, it's icing!
Sugar free carrot cake muffins require cream cheese icing, in my opinion.
If you have a favorite cream cheese frosting recipe that uses only cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and sugar...simply replace the sugar with sugar free powdered sweetener and you are all set.
That's all I did for this cream cheese frosting recipe and the results were perfect.
I am no cupcake piping expert so my keto carrot cake cupcakes look nice and rustic.
I made them prettier by topping them with a crumble made out of shredded carrot, chopped walnuts, and shredded carrots.
Keto Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
This post may contain affiliate links
- 2 ½ Cups almond flour (see my favorite on Amazon)
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ Cup sugar free granulated sweetener (see my favorite on Amazon)
- 3 Large eggs, beaten
- 1 Cup Shredded carrots
- 1 ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg
- 8 oz Greek Yogurt
- pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 8 ounces Cream cheese, softened
- ½ Cup Butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 cup sugar free powdered sweetener
- 1 Tablespoon sugar free granulated sweetener (see my favorite on Amazon)
- 1 Tablespoon Walnuts
- 1 Tablespoon Shredded carrots
- Preheat the oven to 400F and line a 12 cup muffin pan with liners. Spray the inside of the liners with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, baking soda, salt, sweetener, vanilla cinnamon, ground ginger and nutmeg. Now add in the beaten eggs, greek yogurt and carrots. Mix well.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin cups evenly using a scoop. Bake in the oven for 18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whip the softened cream cheese and butter. Add in the sweetener ⅓ at a time until fully incorporated. Finally, add in the vanilla and beat until nice and smooth. Use a piping bag or the corner of a a zip top bag to frost your cupcakes.
- Combine sweetener, walnuts, and shredded carrots in a mini food processor and pulse for a few seconds. Just enough to combine all the ingredients together and to chop up carrots and walnuts. Alternatively, you can chop finely with a knife. Garnish on top of your muffins.
- Carrots: I used pre-shredded and then chopped them even more in a mini food processor.
- Greek Yogurt: look for a plain Greek Yogurt that has the fewest carbs. This is usually 7g per cup. You can substitute sour cream but that will increase the calorie count.
Nutrition per serving
Nutrition is provided as a courtesy only. Please re-calculate on your own with the ingredients and amounts you used for the most accurate data.