Need a homemade, cold weather favorite soup, in less than 30 minutes? Keto Cream of Mushroom Soup is a better than name brand soup! A perfect low carb soup option that’s easy to put together! Sit down this season with a buttery, savory comfortable warm Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe!
Most people use Cream of Mushroom Soup for casserole’s. With my homemade, keto friendly recipe.. Cream of Mushroom Soup is more than a filler for your favorite casserole! This savory, buttery flavor Mushroom Soup will be a keto favorite this cold season! Warm hug in a bowl! Yummy!
I love anything that is a warm hug in a bowl and if you are looking for a meatier stew recipe, check out my keto chili that uses double meat.
Let’s get started!
HOW TO MAKE KETO CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP
For this recipe, I like to chop the mushrooms finely in a food processor. You could also do this with a knife but I find that getting them finely chopped like this helps them cook quicker.
Let’s start by heating the butter in a heavy bottom pot over medium heat.
Add in the onion and cook until soft, this should take about 5-8 minutes.
Add in the garlic and the chopped mushrooms and continue to cook for 5 minutes more.
Add in the chicken broth, heavy cream and sprinkle the xanthan gum over the top and whisk in. Bring to boil for a few minutes to let thicken.
The soup will be thick, but still chunky.
If you want a completely smooth keto cream of mushroom soup, you can carefully blend it in a food processor or you can blend half of the soup if you want it to have a bit of texture. You can also use a immersion blender directly in the pot.
Whatever method you use, please be careful because the soup is hot!
Here is a good reference for how to puree soup safely: https://cookfasteatwell.com/how-to-puree-soup-in-a-blender/
⭐ Did you make this Keto Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe? Tag me on Instagram so I can see! @lowcarbwithjennifer
Keto Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1/2 Cup Diced onion
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 8 ounces Mushrooms, finely chopped (I use baby bella mushrooms)
- 4 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup Heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (click here to see my favorite brand on Amazon)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the butter in a heavy bottom pot over medium heat. Add in the onion and cook until soft. Should take about 5-8 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and the chopped mushrooms and continue to cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add in the chicken broth, heavy cream and sprinkle the xanthan gum over the top and whisk in.
- Bring to a boil for a few minutes to let thicken.
- If you want a completely smooth soup, you can carefully blend it in a food processor, or you can blend half of the soup if you want it to have a bit of texture. You could also use an immersion blender directly in the pot, just be careful of the hot soup!
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- I like to use a food processor to chop the mushrooms finely
- For the mushroom topping: I saved a couple of mushrooms and sliced them thin, then cooked them until crisp in a little oil.
- How to puree soup safely: https://cookfasteatwell.com/how-to-puree-soup-in-a-blender/