You can make this easy low carb soup recipe in no time at all! Use leftover steak if you have it, or cook up some fresh sirloin. You will not regret it!
Related: I get all of my grass fed beef and pasture raised chicken from Butcher Box. Read my honest review here.
I initially intended this Steak Soup Recipe to use fresh top sirloin steak...and you can definitely do that! But, sometimes we have leftover steak that we need new and exciting recipes for (first world problem, right?)
This leftover steak soup recipe is packed with flavor...even my picky husband loved it!
SOME OTHER LEFTOVER STEAK IDEAS
- Add it to a salad
- Beef stroganoff
- Steak fried rice (use cauliflower rice for low carb)
HOW TO MAKE STEAK SOUP
To get started with the soup, we first must have leftover steak or some steak hanging out in the fridge. If you have steak already cooked, cut it into 1 inch cubes and move on to the next step. For fresh steak, cut it into 1 inch cubes and sear it on all sides in a hot dutch oven or heavy bottom pot. I did mine in batches.
“As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.”
After all of the steak has been browned, remove it from the pot and set it aside. Then we add in the diced onion and let it caramelize. Now it is time for the minced garlic, dried herbs, and the sliced mushrooms.
We want to get them softened and browned so they look like this:
Then we add in the beef broth and the soup is almost finished! After the broth, I like to add in a thickener. My preference is Xanthan gum because it only requires a teaspoon and it is low carb friendly. You could also make a slurry. After I add the xanthin gum, I bring the soup to a boil so it will start to thicken.
Now it's time for the steak! Tun off the heat and add in the steak, then ladle into bowls and serve.
Some other low carb soup recipes you will find here are:
- Cream of Cauliflower Soup
- Low Carb Zuppa Tuscana
- Curried Pumpkin Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Soup
- Keto Tomato Soup
⭐ Did you make this Leftover Steak Soup Recipe? Tag me on Instagram so I can see! @lowcarbwithjennifer
Leftover Steak Soup
- 2 Pounds Top Sirloin Steak, Raw or already cooked
- Kosher salt
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- ½ Onion, diced
- 4 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 Pound Mushrooms, sliced
- 4 Cups Beef broth
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum (click here to see my favorite brand on Amazon) (you can also make a slurry)
- If you using already cooked steak, cut into 1 inch cubes and set aside. In a heavy bottom pot over medium heat, add the butter and olive oil. Continue to 3rd step.
- For fresh steak: In a heavy bottom pot over medium high heat, add the butter and olive oil. Cut the fresh steak into 1 inch cubes and season with salt. Sear all sides and then remove from the pot. work in batches so you do not overcrowd the pot. Set cooked steak aside.
- In the same pot over medium heat, add the diced onion. Cook until the onion is browned and softened. Now add in the garlic, herbs, and mushrooms. Continue to cook until the mushrooms are browned and soft.
- Add in the beef broth and the xanthan gum. Bring the soup to a boil and cook for a few minutes to let it thicken.
- Add in the steak and cook for a few minutes to heat through. Ladle into bowls and serve.
Nutrition per serving
Nutrition is provided as a courtesy only. Please re-calculate on your own with the ingredients and amounts you used for the most accurate data.
Watch how to make it