This Pumpkin Curry Soup from Carolyn Ketchum’s new cookbook “Keto Soups & Stews” is so perfect for warming you up on a cool Fall day. I made the dairy free version which was so rich and creamy using coconut milk. Can you believe this is ready in 20 minutes and has only 5.4 net carbs?!
I am a huge lover of soups. The Pumpkin Curry Soup from Carolyn Ketchum’s new cookbook “Keto Soups & Stews” stopped me in my tracks when I was first flipping through the book. I knew I had to make it!
First of all, the photo is stunning. My photos really do not compare to the beautiful one in the book.
You may know Carolyn from All Day I Dream About Food. Her blog was one of the first that I found when I first learned about low carb back in 2010.
Her recipes are fabulous so if you haven’t already, you should really head to her blog!
I’m normally not a huge pumpkin fan, but the addition of the curry powder and the coconut milk really made me want to warm up with this soup.
What I really like is that this pumpkin curry soup is ready in only 20 minutes! How many soups do you know of that can be ready that fast? Not many!
So let’s get started on this delicious soup, shall we?
HOW TO MAKE CURRIED PUMPKIN SOUP
“As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.”
It all starts with sautéing our onions in butter (sub coconut oil for dairy free) until they are translucent. Now season with salt and pepper and add in the curry powder. The smells coming from my kitchen are already amazing!
Now we add in the chicken broth, pumpkin puree, and the red pepper flakes. Let that simmer for only 5 minutes. I told you this was a fast soup!
Now it’s time to blend it up. You can use a blender for this step, but I love to use my immersion blender to smooth out soups. It is so much easier to clean! Now we just stir in the coconut milk or heavy whipping cream to make this pumpkin curry soup extra luscious.
Like I said before, I love soup! Please checkout these other low carb soups that will warm you up this Fall and Winter:
- Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Soup
- Cream of Cauliflower Soup
- Albondigas Soup (Mexican Meatballs)
- Acorn Squash Soup with Parmesan Croutons
- Low Carb Zuppa Toscana
Curried Pumpkin Soup - Ready in 20 Minutes!
- 3 Tablespoons Salted butter
- 1/4 Cup Chopped onions
- 2 Tablespoons Curry Powder
- Salt and Pepper
- 4 Cups Chicken broth
- 1 15 ounce Can pumpkin puree
- 1/4 teaspoon Red pepper flakes
- 1/2 Cup Heavy whipping cream
- Creme Fraiche or sour cream, for garnish
- Pumpkins seeds, for garnish
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté until the onions are translucent, about 4 minutes. Stir in the curry powder and cook for another minute.
- Add the broth, pumpkin puree, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth. Depending on the size of your blender, you may need to work in batches. (Alternatively, you can use an immersion blender to puree the soup right in the pot.) Return the soup to the pot and stir in the heavy whipping cream. Adjust the seasonings to taste.
- Garnish with dollops of creme fraiche and pumpkins seeds.
- For dairy free - use avocado oil in place of the butter and full-fat coconut milk in place of the heavy whipping cream. Omit the creme fraiche garnish.
⭐ Did you make this Curried Pumpkin Soup Recipe? Tag me on Instagram so I can see! @lowcarbwithjennifer