Low Carb Stuffed Mushrooms with Sausage, Kale and Gouda
Stuffed Mushrooms are a classic steakhouse appetizer, but they are usually prepared with breadcrumbs which are a low carb no no. My low carb stuffed mushrooms will not deplete your carb bank and will fill you with yummy veggies!
It’s been a few weeks since my last post and for that I apologize! The truth is we have been super busy with all of the holiday shenanigans and after Christmas I barely knew which day it was! Does that ever happen to anyone else? Any who, I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday break and didn’t indulge too much. If you did, don’t sweat it and get back to it!
Speaking of indulging over the holidays, my break was a little too indulgent in my opinion, so I am getting back on track. I have been following my own low carb advice and I have lost 7 lbs of holiday bloat since January 1st (it’s funny how that happens)! I am so excited to get these last 50 lb off so I am going to promise myself no cheats for the next 6 months (I will still lick my kids macaroni spoon and for that I am not sorry). I know I can do it because I have done it before! If you are interested in following my low carb advice, please grab my free low carb guide here!
So let’s get to this low carb stuffed mushroom recipe, shall we? I was wanting something more filling than traditional stuffed mushrooms that just use breadcrumbs and cheese. These definitely fit the bill with the use of flavorful sausage, hearty kale, and yummy gouda.
I used frozen chopped kale in these low carb stuffed mushrooms because I’m lazy like that and it doesn’t take as long to cook. Organic frozen vegetables are a busy moms best friend!
I hope you enjoy the recipe!
- 12 Baby Portobello Mushroom Caps
- 1/2 pound Ground Sausage
- 5 oz Chopped Frozen Kale
- 4 oz Shredded Gouda
- 1/4 cup Shredded Parmesan
- 1 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F
- In a 10 inch oven safe skillet (I used cast iron), saute sausage until cooked through
- Add chopped kale, nutmeg, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Saute mixture until kale is cooked through, about 5 minutes
- Add Gouda and stir until cheese is melted
- Remove mixture from skillet into a medium bowl and wipe skillet
- Place mushroom caps in skillet and season with salt and pepper
- Spoon sausage and kale mixture into each mushroom cap
- Top each mushroom with shredded parmesan
- Place in 375 degree oven for 35 minutes or until mushroom are tender