Thai Chicken Soup with Coconut Milk is a fulfilling light, rich and creamy Thai Soup recipe! Want to bring the zest back to your dinner table (in under and hour) but need a low carb, keto friendly choice? Tom Kha Gai Soup is a burstingly bold, perfect authentic recipe addition to your keto recipe collection!
Related: I get all of my grass fed beef and pasture raised chicken from Butcher Box. Read my honest review here.
If you're like me you have problems picking things out for dinner!
Now I'm happy to share with you something different to bring to your keto table.
Thai recipes have a lot of ingredients, but I like to give shortcuts to make assembly so easy. let me show you how!
HOW TO MAKE THAI CHICKEN SOUP WITH COCONUT MILK (TOM KHA GAI)
Thai Chicken Soup is packed full of bold ingredients like mushrooms, Thai red chili paste, garlic, ginger, Lemongrass, lime juice, and coconut milk.
Let's get started!
In a dutch oven over medium heat, add the avocado oil, onion, garlic, lemongrass, ginger, and carrots.
My favorite shortcut ingredient is frozen diced onion. Onions make me cry like a baby so I hate chopping onion!
Another shortcut ingredient I love is ginger paste and lemongrass paste. These 2 ingredients provide so much flavor without having to grate a ginger root, or chop a lemongrass stalk. These 2 ingredients are found in the produce section of most grocery stores.
Sauté until carrots begin to soften...about 8 minutes You could buy these frozen as well!
Once you're finished with that add in the sliced mushrooms and sauté for 5 minutes more.
Now we add in chicken and continue to sauté until the chicken is no longer pink.
This should take about 5 minutes.
Now you can add in the chicken broth, coconut milk, fish sauce, lime juice and red curry paste.
These ingredients add so much flavor so I wouldn't skip them.
Stir and let that simmer for 20 minutes uncovered.
Serve in bowls with cilantro as your garnish! I like to use lots of cilantro!
This Thai Chicken soup was absolutely delicious!
Like this keto, low carb soup? Check out my recipes for Keto Cream of Mushroom Soup, Low Carb Chicken Soup with Spaghetti Squash Noodles, Cream of Cauliflower Soup and Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Soup!
⭐ Did you make this Thai Chicken Soup with Coconut Milk (Tom Kha Gai) Recipe? Tag me on Instagram so I can see! @lowcarbwithjennifer
Thai Chicken Soup with Coconut Milk (Tom Kha Gai)
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil (Click here for my favorite brand on Amazon)
- 1 Onion, diced
- 6 Cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons Ginger paste
- 1 Tablespoon Lemongrass paste
- 2 Carrots peeled and sliced into thin coins
- 8 ounces Sliced Baby Bella mushrooms
- 6 Boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into cubes
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 14 ounce Can coconut milk, full fat
- 3 Tablespoons Fish sauce
- 3 Tablespoons Lime juice
- 2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Dutch Oven
- In a dutch oven over medium heat, add the avocado oil, onion, garlic, ginger, lemongrass and carrots.
- Sauté until carrots begin to soften. Should take about 5-8 minutes.
- Add in sliced mushrooms and sauté for five minutes more.
- Add in chicken and continue to sauté until chicken is no longer pink. About 5 minutes.
- Add in chicken broth, coconut milk, fish sauce, lime juice and red curry paste.
- Stir and let simmer for 20 minutes uncovered.
- Serve in bowls with cilantro for garnish.
- Ginger paste and Lemongrass paste: These 2 ingredients provide so much flavor without having to grate a ginger root, or chop a lemongrass stalk. These 2 ingredients are found in the produce section of most grocery stores.
- Carrots: These are really not that essential to the recipe so if you want to reduce the carb count a little more, you can leave them out.
Nutrition per serving
Nutrition is provided as a courtesy only. Please re-calculate on your own with the ingredients and amounts you used for the most accurate data.
Thanks for this recipe ! So easy and so so tasty !!!!! Absolutely delicious 😊
Do you know if it freezes well as would like to make a big batch? Thx!
Yes, this will freeze very well!
Margaret Garcia says
Jennifer, Honey you were not kidding when you said that this was like flavor bomb in your mouth!!!! My daughter found your recipe when she was home from college and that was about a month ago and she absolutely LOVED IT!!! Since then I have made it about 6 times and have doubled the recipe and I have shared with my neighbors and they have made it also!!! You are amazing!! I love LOVE your recipes!! I will never order Tom khai gai ever again!!
This just made my day...thank you!
Laura Johns says
This soup was absolutely delicious. I can’t wait to make it again.
Great recipe! I added an extra tsp curry paste, wild rice, and eventually sriracha. The added sriracha makes this recipe even better.
This is so good! I ended up using twice the amount of mushrooms because that’s the amount I could buy and twice the amount of carrots. I also threw in a bag of baby spinach because I had it and why not! Even without the extras it’s a bomb recipe! Thank you!!
Monica Luy says
Delicious and easy.
Thank you .
I’ve been using your recipes for about a month now and every single one works every single time!! Just made this soup to have for lunches in the week and my whole house smells amazing! I can’t wait to try it.
Thank you for making g my keto journey so easy and tasty!
Leah Duvall says
When’s does the onion go in?