These stuffed acorn squash with sausage and mushrooms will have you dreaming of fall. I also provide a quick tip on how to easily cut your squash!
These beautiful Stuffed Acorn Squash just scream Fall to me! I am so ready for Fall, how about you? It is still so hot here and we will not get a taste of cooler weather for at least another month. But a girl can dream, right?
One thing you will not catch me with is anything pumpkin. I will not be holding a PSL or eating pumpkin muffins because I personally do not like it. Please don’t hate me! One thing I do love when the weather gets cooler is soup. I really could eat soup anytime of year, if I’m being completely honest. I also drink hot coffee all year long because I’m crazy!
Check out my recipe for Acorn Squash Soup!
My kids started back to school this week so I have been enjoying the added free-time. I have been going on a nice long walk every morning and it has been so nice! I love my kids of course, but this girl needs some alone time! Those walks will be even more pleasurable when the cooler weather hits. Until then I will just dream of fall while I eat the stuffed acorn squash.
“As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.”
So these stuffed acorn squash were so easy to make with only a handful of ingredients. I first roasted the squash for a bit in the oven to get them nice and tender, then I stuffed them with sautéed sausage, mushrooms, a bit of thyme, and a sprinkle of parmesan. I popped them back in the oven for a little longer just to melt the cheese. They were divine!
Home cook tip:
I want to give you a quick tip on cutting these squash in half. The last time I used acorn squash, I was trying to cut them into rings and I sliced my finger so I was a little apprehensive to cook with them again. So before I cut them in half this time, I put them in the microwave for 4 minutes. This softened them up just enough for them to cut in half very easily.
Stuffed Acorn Squash with Sausage and Mushrooms
- 2 Acorn squash
- 4 tbsp avocado oil (Click here for my favorite brand on Amazon)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 LB ground sausage
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms quartered
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Pierce the skin of each acorn squash and microwave them on high for 4 minutes. Remove from the microwave and let cool. Once cool, slice the squash in half, cutting between the groves in the squash. Scrape out the seeds and discard.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F. Brush each squash half with 1 tbsp of oil and then season with salt and pepper. Place the squash flesh side down on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
- While the squash are roasting, cook the sausage in a skillet until cooked through. Add the quartered mushrooms and dried thyme. Sauté until the mushrooms are softened, but not mushy.
- Remove the squash from the oven and carefully flip them flesh side up. Spoon the sausage and mushroom mixture on top of each squash half and the sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Place the squash back in the oven for 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
⭐ Did you make this Stuffed Acorn Squash Recipe? Tag me on Instagram so I can see! @lowcarbwithjennifer