"This blog post is sponsored by Almond Breeze. The content and opinions expressed here are mine."
This homemade almond milk ice cream recipe is super creamy, dairy free, low carb, vegan, and made in the ice cream maker (or not)! And no bananas!
I normally don't post recipes that are dairy free, but I know that a lot of people that follow a low carb / keto diet are dairy free. I wanted to make an ice cream that was super creamy, decadently chocolate, and made without dairy. I hope you love this Almond Milk Ice Cream Recipe!
When I first started to think about making almond milk ice cream, I was racking my brain with what I can use to make this thick and creamy, dairy free, and low carb.
Avocados! Ding ding ding!
How to make chocolate almond milk ice cream
The ingredients you will need are almond milk, avocados, cocoa powder, sweetener (I used Swerve to make this low carb but you can use coconut sugar as well), and vanilla extract.
Really, you can use any kind of dairy free milk for this recipe...coconut milk, cashew milk, etc.
The trick to this almond milk ice cream is to get it as smooth as possible. I used my food processor, then I blitz it with my immersion blender to get it super smooth. You can also use a high speed blender.
After I got it super smooth, I transferred it to my ice cream maker and started it up. This almond milk ice cream took about 30 minutes to freeze.
How to make this ice cream "no churn"
Pour the ice cream into a plastic zip top bag and seal the top. Place it in the freezer and periodically pull it out and mush it around until it is ice cream consistency.
Because this has so much almond milk in it, it is going to freeze hard if you leave it overnight. Just make sure you pull it from the freezer about 20 minutes before you want to serve it.
The reason store bought ice cream is easier to scoop out of the freezer is because of the various gums (guar gum and xanthan gum) they add to the mix.
I hope you love this almond milk ice cream! Please check out these other low carb chocolate desserts:
- Chocolate Cake with Whipped Cream Icing
- Chocolate mug cake
- Chocolate bark with bacon and almonds
- Chocolate Pie
- Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
Creamy Almond Milk Ice Cream - No Churn
This post may contain affiliate links
- 4 small or 2 large Avocados (about 300 grams of flesh)
- 1 ½ Cup sugar free granulated sweetener (see my favorite on Amazon)
- ½ Cup Cocoa Powder
- 2 Cups Almond Breeze Original Almondmilk
- 1 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- Add all ingredients to a high speed blender and blend until smooth. Pour into the ice cream maker and freeze according to your ice cream maker directions. See notes for no churn method.
- Use unsweetened almond milk for the least amount of carbs
- To make this "no churn" add the smooth almond milk ice cream base to a large plastic freezer bag and seal closed.
- Place in the freezer and then remove periodically and smush the bag around. Do this a few times until it is the consistency of ice cream.
Nutrition per serving
Nutrition is provided as a courtesy only. Please re-calculate on your own with the ingredients and amounts you used for the most accurate data.