This keto broccoli cheese soup recipe is so easy to make, low carb friendly, gluten free, full of cheesy cheddar flavor, and ready in under 30 minutes!
Here is another recipe that my family has been making for years. Maybe your family has their own version, too? I must say, though, this Broccoli Cheese Soup is nothing like my family has made. This one is keto and low carb friendly!
HOW TO MAKE KETO BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP
To start on this soup we need to simmer the broccoli and carrots in the chicken broth. I used 4 cups of fresh broccoli that I chopped into bite size pieces, but you could use frozen if you like. We need to simmer the vegetables in the broth until they are fork tender.
Now it’s time to add in the seasonings and the cheese. Let the liquid cool a bit before adding the cheese. Liquid above 150F will cause the cheese to not incorporate. Add in the cheese a handful at a time and let it melt completely before adding more.
As for the type of cheese, I like to use pre-shredded sharp cheddar. It incorporated into the soup perfectly.
After all of the cheese is incorporated, add in the heavy cream and cream cheese. Let that all melt in and your soup is ready!
Some other soup recipes you should definitely check out:
Leftover Steak Soup – You will want to make steak just for this beefy, mushroom and steak soup
Keto Tomato Soup – Made with Marinara sauce so it’s ready in only 15 minutes
Cream of Cauliflower Soup – another creamy soup…this time with cauliflower!
Albondigas Soup – Another name for Mexican meatball soup…so packed with flavor.
Low Carb Chicken Soup – This one uses spaghetti squash as the noodles…genius!
The Best Keto Chili – I love chili but the beans are a no no on keto…I used extra meat in the recipe to make the chili extra hearty!
Cream of Mushroom Soup – So dreamy and creamy
Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup - Ready in 30 Minutes!
- 4 Cups Chicken broth
- 4 Cups Broccoli florets
- ½ Cup Shredded carrots
- ½ teaspoon Garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Onion powder
- 4 Cups Shredded sharp cheddar
- 1 Cup Heavy cream
- 4 ounces Cream cheese
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Add the chicken broth, broccoli, and carrots to a heavy bottom soup pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and let simmer until the vegetables are fork tender, about 6-8 minutes. Add in the garlic powder and onion powder.
- Let the liquid cool to below 150F before adding the cheese so it doesn't clump and sink to the bottom. Add in the cheese a handful at a time, making sure it is incorporated before adding more. When all of the cheese is incorporated, add in the heavy cream and the cream cheese.
- Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper to taste. The soup with thicken nicely as it sits. Serve with extra shredded cheese, if desired.
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
- I used 4 cups of fresh broccoli, but you could use frozen if you like.
- I like to use pre-shredded sharp cheddar. It incorporated into the soup perfectly.
- Let the liquid cool a bit before adding the cheese. Liquid above 150F will cause the cheese to not incorporate because it breaks down the protein bonds. Add in the cheese a handful at a time and let it melt completely before adding more.