Fathead Pizza Crust is a staple in my household and I know it will be in yours! Be sure to follow all of my tips to getting this recipe perfect the first time and every time. I also have a full video tutorial showing the step by step. Lets get started!
HOW TO MAKE FATHEAD PIZZA CRUST
I am being completely honest when I say that this keto pizza is much easier than a traditional white flour and yeast crust.
To start out, we gather our ingredients. That would be mozzarella cheese, almond or coconut flour, cream cheese, egg, Italian seasoning (optional), and a little salt.
Tip #1: To make mixing easier, mix the mozzarella with the almond flour, salt, and Italian seasoning before melting.
To melt this, you can either put the mozzarella and almond flour (or coconut flour) in a glass bowl and microwave in 1 minute increments, or you can place the glass bowl over a pot of boiling water (like a double boiler) and heat until melted.
Once the mixture is melted, add in the cream cheese to bring down the temperature of the cheese and almond flour. I mixed mine in with a spoon.
After the dough is cool enough to handle, you can mix in the egg. I do this with my hands.
Now we can place the dough on a sheet of parchment paper and begin to spread it out with our hands. I like to oil my hands with olive oil so the dough doesn’t stick to my hands.
You could also use a rolling pin oiled with olive oil.
The fathead pizza dough doesn’t have to be perfect, I like mine rustic and it never ends up in a complete circle.
For individual keto pizza crusts, cut the complete dough in half and shape into 2 individual pizza crusts on the parchment paper. You could use 1 or 2 pieces of parchment.
I pre-bake my crust in a 400F oven for 8-10 minutes. I bake on the parchment paper and directly on the oven rack.
You could also use a pizza stone or a pizza pan. Just make sure you keep it on the parchment paper.
After pre-baking the fathead pizza crust, we can add our toppings.
Tip #2: For a crispier crust, flip the keto pizza crust over after pre-baking.
I topped my pizza with Rao’s pizza sauce, which only has 1 net carb in 1/3 of a cup! I also used ground beef, sliced green bell pepper, sliced olives, pepperoni and mozzarella cheese.
I then baked it in the oven for 8-10 minutes more.
HOW TO FREEZE FATHEAD PIZZA CRUST
The best way I have found to freeze these is to make them and pre bake them, then freeze. You could also make them into individual crusts and follow the steps for pre-baking, then freeze.
Bake directly on the oven rack at 400F until the crust is golden on top.
Let cool, place in the freezer to flash freeze for 1 hour. Place in a large zip top bag and freeze for up to 2 months.
When ready to use, pre-heat oven, remove from freezer (no need to thaw), add your favorite toppings, and bake in 400F oven for 8-10 minutes.
WATCH HOW TO MAKE THIS KETO PIZZA RECIPE
⭐ Did you make this Fathead Pizza Crust Recipe? Tag me on Instagram so I can see! @lowcarbwithjennifer
Fathead Pizza - Almond Flour & Nut Free Versions
- 1 3/4 cup Grated Mozzarella Cheese
- 3/4 cup Almond Flour (click here to see my favorite brand)
- 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- Pinch Salt
- 2 tbsp Cream Cheese
- 1 Large Egg
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F
- In a large glass bowl, mix together the mozzarella cheese, almond flour, Italian seasoning, and salt. Microwave on high for 1 minute. If not completely melted, melt for 30 seconds more. (see notes for stovetop method)
- Add the cream cheese to the mozzarella mixture and combine with a spoon. when the dough is cool enough to handle, add in the egg and mix well with hands.
- Dump the dough out on to a piece of parchment paper. Oil your hands or a rolling pin with olive oil and press the dough into a 10-12 inch circle or oblong shape. Place the parchment paper directly on the oven rack with the pizza crust and bake for 10 minutes. Pop any bubbles that form in the crust.
- Remove the crust from the oven and top with your favorite toppings. Bake for 8-10 minutes more.
- Cut into 6-8 slices and serve. 1 fathead pizza crust recipe makes 2 servings.
- Nutrition is for 1/2 of the crust only. Any toppings you add will be extra.
- For a coconut flour crust: use 1/3 cup coconut flour in place of the almond flour and increase the eggs to 2.
- You could also use 3/4 cup crushed pork rinds in place of the almond flour
- For stovetop instead of microwave: Place the glass bowl with mozzarella and flour over a pot of boiling water and stir until melted.
- For individual keto pizza crusts: cut the complete dough in half and shape into 2 individual pizza crusts on the parchment paper. You could use 1 or 2 pieces of parchment.
- For a crispier crust: After pre-baking, flip the crust before adding the toppings.
- To freeze fathead pizza crust: Follow directi0ns 1-4 for pre-baking the crust. Make as many as you need and stack the crusts in the freezer with the parchment paper. Freeze for 1 hour, then place in a large zip-top bag or wrap in foil. Freeze for up to 2 months. When ready to use, pre-heat oven, remove from freezer (no need to thaw), add your favorite toppings, and bake in 400F oven for 8-10 minutes.