Everything you need to know to make the best Keto and Low Carb Fathead Pizza Crust Recipe! I give all of my tips and tricks for a crispy crust, and I give instructions for almond flour and a nut free version. I also give instructions for making your own keto frozen pizzas.
This low carb and keto pizza crust is a staple in my household and I know it will be in yours! Be sure to follow all of my tips to getting this recipe perfect the first time and every time. I also have a full video tutorial showing the step by step. Lets get started!
I’m not kidding when I tell you that I love this pizza better than a pizzeria.
I personally think that thin crust pizza from a local pizza place tastes like cardboard. Now the pizza in New York is a different story!
I’m not going to act like this tastes just like traditional pizza crust, but I will tell you it is good!!!
Step by step instructions and photos
Now one thing I will say is that this keto pizza is much easier than a traditional white flour and yeast crust.
To start out, we gather our ingredients. That would be 1 ¾ cup mozzarella cheese, ¾ cup almond flour or ⅓ cup coconut flour, 2 tablespoons cream cheese, 1 egg, ½ teaspoon of Italian seasoning (optional), and a little salt.
I use pre-shredded mozzarella cheese. Fresh mozzarella cheese will not work for this recipe.
Tip #1: To make mixing this low carb crust easier, mix the mozzarella with the almond flour, salt, and Italian seasoning BEFORE melting.
To melt this, you can either put the mozzarella and almond flour (or coconut flour) in a glass bowl and microwave in 1 minute increments, or you can place the glass bowl over a pot of simmering water (like a double boiler) and heat until melted.
Once the mixture is melted, mix in the cream cheese with a spoon.
After the dough is cool enough to handle, you can mix in the egg. I do this with my hands.
Now we can place the dough on a sheet of parchment paper that has been oiled or sprayed with cooking spray and begin to spread it out with our hands. I like to oil my hands with olive oil so the dough doesn’t stick to my hands.
You could also use a rolling pin oiled with oil.
The fathead pizza dough doesn’t have to be perfect, I like mine rustic and it rarely ends up in a complete circle.
For individual keto pizza crusts, cut the complete dough in half and shape into 2 individual pizza crusts on the parchment paper. You could use 1 or 2 pieces of parchment.
Pre-bake the crust in a 400F oven for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Keep an eye on it and pop any bubbles with a fork. Bake on the parchment paper and directly on the oven rack.
You could also use a pizza stone or a pizza pan. Just make sure you keep it on the parchment paper.
After pre-baking the fathead pizza crust, we can add our toppings.
Tips for a crispier keto pizza crust
Tip #2: For a crispier crust, peel the crust off of the parchment paper and flip it over before adding the toppings.
I topped my pizza with Rao’s pizza sauce, which only has 1 net carb in ⅓ of a cup! I also used ground beef, sliced green bell pepper, sliced olives, pepperoni and mozzarella cheese.
I then baked it in the oven for 8-10 minutes more or until the cheese starts to brown and bubble.
Keto frozen pizzas
The best way I have found to freeze these is to make them and pre bake them, then freeze. You could also make them into individual crusts and follow the steps for pre-baking, then freeze.
Make the crust as instructed and bake directly on the oven rack at 400F until the crust is golden on top.
Let cool, top with your favorite toppings and place in the freezer on a sheet tray to flash freeze for 1 hour then remove them from the freezer, wrap in plastic wrap, then foil, and freeze for up to 3 months.
When ready to use, pre-heat the oven, remove from freezer (no need to thaw) and bake in 400F oven for 10-15 minutes.
Crispy Fathead Pizza Crust - Keto Frozen Pizzas
- 1 ¾ cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- ¾ cup Almond flour (click here to see my favorite on Amazon)
- ½ tsp Italian Seasoning
- Pinch Kosher salt
- 2 tbsp Cream Cheese
- 1 Large Egg
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F. Prepare a piece of parchment paper by rubbing it with oil or cooking spray. You must use parchment paper, not wax paper.
- In a large glass bowl, mix together the mozzarella cheese, almond flour, Italian seasoning, and salt. Microwave on high for 1 minute. If not completely melted, melt for 30 seconds more. (see notes for stovetop method)
- Add the cream cheese to the mozzarella mixture and combine with a spoon. when the dough is cool enough to handle, add in the egg and mix well with hands.
- Dump the dough out on to a piece of parchment paper. Oil your hands or a rolling pin with oil and press the dough into a 10-12 inch circle or oblong shape. Place the parchment paper directly on the oven rack with the pizza crust and bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Keep and eye on it and pop any bubbles that form in the crust.
- Remove the crust from the oven and top with your favorite toppings. Bake for 8-10 minutes more.
- Cut into 6-8 slices and serve. 1 pizza crust recipe makes 2 servings.
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
- Nutrition is for ½ of the crust only. Any toppings you add will be extra.
- For a coconut flour crust: use ⅓ cup coconut flour in place of the almond flour and increase the eggs to 2.
- For stovetop instead of microwave: Place the glass bowl with mozzarella and flour over a pot of simmering water and stir until melted.
- For individual keto pizza crusts: cut the complete dough in half and shape into 2 individual pizza crusts on the parchment paper. You could use 1 or 2 pieces of parchment.
- For a crispier crust: After pre-baking, flip the crust before adding the toppings.
- To freeze fathead pizza crust: Follow directi0ns 1-4 for pre-baking the crust. Make as many as you need and stack the crusts in the freezer with the parchment paper. Freeze for 1 hour, then wrap in plastic wrap followed by foil. Freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to use, pre-heat oven, remove from freezer (no need to thaw), add your favorite toppings, and bake in 400F oven for 8-10 minutes.