A hash usually consists of some type of potato…so what is a low carb goddess supposed to do when you want some darn breakfast hash? Use celeriac of course! Just look at that gorgeousness!
“As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.”
Have you ever tried celeriac? What the heck is celeriac? Well, celeriac, also known and celery root, is a type of celery grown for its celery roots. If I say celery one more time, slap me. Celeriac has a mild flavor like something I will not say, but it starts with a C. It is a root so it is similar in texture to potatoes. Yay! Perfect for a low carb breakfast hash!
I first tried celeriac when we lived in Germany. I used it to make low carb grits and they were wonderful. I bought it at the Commissary, and now that I look back, I am surprised they carried such an exotic (for the time) vegetable. But now I realize it must be because of our location. So anyway, you shouldn’t have any trouble finding it at your local grocery store! I found mine at Whole Foods this time around.
In this low carb breakfast hash I used bacon (my love), zucchini, and an orange bell pepper. I chose those because that’s what I had on hand, but you could definitely use a variety of other veggies that you like.
Low Carb Breakfast Hash
- 7 Slices Thick Bacon , Cut in Lardons
- 4 Cups Celeriac , Diced
- 1 Orange Bell Pepper , Diced
- 1 Zucchini , Diced
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Oregano
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 4 Large Eggs
- Avocado and Parsley for Garnish
- Saute bacon lardons in a cast iron or heavy bottom skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove from the pan leaving grease
- Add celeriac to the pan and sauté for 5 minutes
- Add orange pepper and sauté for 5 minutes more
- Add zucchini, onion powder, paprika, oregano, and salt and pepper and sauté until zucchini is cooked through
- Crack each egg on top of the veggies leaving the yolk intact
- Cover skillet with lid and continue to cook until egg whites are set. About 5 minutes
- Garnish with chopped parsley and diced avocado