Apparently salad on pizza is a thing. I first saw this when we lived in Germany and they liked to top their pizzas with arugula (delicious, by the way). Then last weekend I was following my Saturday morning tradition of watching the Pioneer Woman, and she made a pizza with herbed chicken caesar salad on top. Genius!
I thought that sounded amazing and my husband loves caesar salad, so off I went to the kitchen. I used fathead pizza crust which is super easy to make!
I’ve used this fathead pizza crust before to make my Low Carb Florentine Pizza. It is yummy!
HOW TO MAKE FATHEAD PIZZA CRUST
To make the crust, add your mozzarella cheese, almond flour, and cream cheese to a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 1 minute. Remove and stir. Microwave for another 30 seconds and stir again. I use my hands at this point and work the dough until it is not too hot to handle, then I add the egg and mix that in.
The dough should not be too sticky. I lay out a piece of parchment paper and I press the fathead pizza dough into an oblong shape. You could do round, but I wanted to do oblong for this chicken caesar salad pizza.
Place the parchment with the fathead pizza crust in a 400F oven and let it cook for 10 minutes. I then removed it from the oven and spread olive oil and grated parmesan all over it. Then I put it back in the oven for 5 more minutes.
While the crust is cooking, I threw the salad together. I just did a basic caesar salad with chopped romaine, chicken breast, and dressing.
HOW TO MAKE FAHEAD PIZZA CRUST WITHOUT A MICROWAVE
Add the mozzarella, cream cheese, and almond flour to a sauce pan on the stove over medium heat and cover with a lid. Let cook until the cheese is just melted. Remove from heat and stir until everything is combined. Pour into a bowl and let cool until you can knead it with your hands. Add the egg and knead until completely combined. Place on a piece of parchment paper and press into a round or oblong shape 1/4 inch thick.
My husband voted this a winner! In fact, he said it was his new favorite pizza. Score!
You could use leftover chicken thighs instead of breast. I love this chicken thigh recipe and I would use the leftovers to make this pizza!
- 1 3/4 cup Mozzarella cheese shredded
- 3/4 cup Almond flour
- 2 tablespoons Cream cheese
- 1 large Egg
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 large Chicken breast cooked and chopped
- 4 cups Romaine lettuce chopped
- 4 Tablespoons Caesar dressing
preheat oven to 400F
Add the mozzarella cheese, almond flour, and cream cheese to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute, stir, then microwave for 30 seconds more. Stir until combined and not too hot to touch, then stir in the egg and knead until the egg is completely combined.
Spread the dough out onto a piece of parchment paper. Press the dough out with your hands until it is 1/4 inch thick. Place the parchment and pizza crust in the oven and bake for 10 minute. Pop any bubbles that form in the crust while baking.
Remove the crust from the oven and spread with the olive oil and parmesan cheese. Bake an additional 5 minutes. Remove from the oven
While the crust is baking, toss the lettuce, chicken, and dressing to make the salad.
To serve, pile the caesar salad on top of the fathead crust and slice.
- I like to use Newmans Own creamy Caesar. You could also make your own.
- Chop the lettuce and the chicken into small pieces so it is easier to eat on the pizza.
- To make this without a microwave: Add the mozzarella, cream cheese, and almond four to a sauce pan on the stove over medium heat and cover with a lid. Let cook until the cheese is just melted. Remove from heat and stir until everything is combined. Pour into a bowl and let cool until you can knead it with your hands. Add the egg and knead until completely combined. Place on a piece of parchment paper and press into a round or oblong shape 1/4 inch thick.
⭐️ Did you make this recipe? Tag me on Instagram so I can see! @lowcarbwithjennifer