This simple Air Fryer Fajitas Recipe combines tender chicken breast, thinly sliced onion and bell peppers, and a homemade fajita seasoning mix to create a colorful and satisfying dinner that is ready in about 15 minutes. For a busy weeknight, these easy air fryer chicken fajitas are the way to go. The whole family will love this delicious meal!
How to cut chicken breast for the most tender air fryer chicken fajitas:
Most people cut their chicken breast with the grain which is not going to give you very tender chicken pieces. Cutting against the grain is a great way to ensure your air fryer chicken fajitas are nice and tender.
- Cut the chicken breast in half crosswise. This isn't required but it makes for more manageable cuts. This will leave you with 2 large chunks.
- Cut each chunk in small strips against the grain. If you look closely in the above photo, you can see the grain running crosswise.
Should I cut chicken for fajitas before cooking?
For my Keto Fajitas with Chicken and Beef, I wrote the recipe to cook the chicken breast whole. Typically this is so the meat doesn't overcook.
Since we are cooking these easy chicken fajitas in the air fryer, we are cooking everything together, so we want the chicken and the vegetables to all be the same size. The advantage of this is our fajitas are finished cooking much more quickly, and we are able to season the chicken breast strips thoroughly with our fajita spice mix.
The traditional way to serve chicken fajitas is stuffed in warm tortillas and then topped with shredded cheese, sour cream, guacamole, pico de Gallo, and maybe a squeeze of lime juice.
You can also serve these in a rice bowl, on top of salad greens, or as a chicken fajita quesadilla (my favorite way!).
More air fryer chicken recipes
- Air fryer bacon wrapped chicken tenders
- Air fryer chicken thighs
- Air fryer chicken drumsticks
- Air fryer chicken wings
15 Minute Air Fryer Fajitas
This post may contain affiliate links
- 2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, cut into half inch thin strips against the grain
- 2 Orange, yellow, or red bell pepper, Sliced into strips
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Fajita topping of choice (see step 4)
- Air Fryer (Here's the air fryer I like best on Amazon) At least 6 quart
- Use the preheat button on your air fryer to get it going while you prep your chicken and fresh vegetables. In a large mixing bowl, combine the chicken, peppers, onion, and the spices. Toss with tongs to coat.
- Pour the mixture into the air fryer basket and spread into a single layer. Air fry at 400F (200C) for 10 minutes, shaking halfway through. As the chicken cooks you can get your toppings and warm tortillas ready.
- After 10 minutes, your thin chicken strips should be cooked through. You can add extra minutes if you want more browning on your chicken and vegetables. The cook time will also vary depending on the size of your air fryer. A smaller air fryer may also take more time since the food will be more crowded.
- Serve with corn tortillas or flour tortillas and your favorite fajita toppings such as sour cream, pico de Gallo, fresh cilantro, shredded cheddar cheese or queso fresco and a squeeze of lime juice.
- Chicken: Boneless skinless chicken thighs can also be used.
- Bell Peppers: Any colorful bell peppers will work including green bell peppers.
- Onion: feel free to use a red onion, white onions, or sweet yellow onions.
- Leftover chicken fajitas: Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Nutrition per serving
Nutrition is provided as a courtesy only. Please re-calculate on your own with the ingredients and amounts you used for the most accurate data.