This healthy and zesty keto taco salad is the "Taco Tuesday" that everyone can enjoy! This easy, low carb friendly, flavorful, recipe is layered with chicken or beef, lettuce, cheese, olives, salsa, cilantro, and cheese chips!
Related: I get all of my grass fed beef and pasture raised chicken from Butcher Box. Read my honest review here.
Homemade taco seasoning
I'm really excited about sharing this with you because who doesn't love Taco Salad??
Let's get started!
This recipe can be made with either boneless skinless chicken thighs or ground beef. The seasoning would be the same for both.
Combine the seasoning ingredients in a small bowl. That would be salt, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and smoked paprika.
These chicken thighs are very generously seasoned and super flavorful!
Next, sprinkle the seasoning evenly on both sides of the boneless skinless chicken thighs.
If you are using ground beef, you would just cook and crumble the ground beef in a large skillet with the seasonings.
Now heat the avocado oil in a 10 inch skillet over medium high heat.
You will need to cook the chicken thighs for 4 minutes on each side or until an internal temperature thermometer reads 165F.
Once your chicken is done, remove from the heat to a cutting board and slice it into strips.
Now to assemble the keto taco salads!
Place lettuce, tomato, black olives (optional), cheddar cheese, and cilantro in a salad bowl. You could also divide this all up into individual bowls.
Top with the slices of chicken or beef, sour cream, and fresh salsa.
Every taco salad needs a crunchy ingredient
Do you miss the crunchy chips like Doritos in your taco salads or an actual taco salad bowl? You have to try using cheese crisps in your taco salad! They are the perfect crunchy element. I use the cheddar cheese chips by Whisps.
Now you too can enjoy those "taco nights" with a keto friendly alternative! Yummy!
Like this keto friendly recipe? Check out my recipes for Keto Butter Chicken, Keto Chicken Salad with Avocado and Bacon or Roasted Cauliflower Cobb Salad!
Chicken or Beef Keto Taco Salad with Cheese Crisps!
For the Seasoned Chicken
- 1 ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon Cumin
- ½ teaspoon Garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Chili powder
- ½ teaspoon Smoked paprika
- 1 pound Boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 Tablespoons Avocado oil (Click here for my favorite brand on Amazon)
For assembling the salad
- 8 Cups Shredded lettuce
- ½ Cup Fresh diced tomatoes
- 1 Cup Shredded cheddar cheese
- Fresh cilantro
- ⅓ Cup Salsa
- ½ Cup Sour Cream
- 2 Ounces Cheddar cheese crisps, crumbled
- Combine the salt, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and smoked paprika in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle the seasoning evenly on both sides of each of the boneless chicken thighs.
- Heat the avocado oil in a 10 inch skillet over medium heat.
- Cook the chicken thighs for 4 minutes on each side or until an internal temperature thermometer reads 165F.
- Remove from heat to a cutting board and slice into strips.
To assemble the taco salads
- Place lettuce, tomato, black olives, cheddar cheese and cilantro in a salad bowl.
- Top with the slices of chicken, fresh salsa and the cheddar crisps. Enjoy!
- Using 85/15 beef - Make this recipe as written except use beef instead of chicken and leave out the oil. Crumble and cook the beef in a skillet over medium heat with the seasonings until cooked through.
- Cheddar Cheese Crisps: These can be found in most grocery stores in the produce department or with the salad toppings.
- Toppings: Try topping this keto taco salad with keto cheese sauce
Nutrition per serving
Nutrition is provided as a courtesy only. Please re-calculate on your own with the ingredients and amounts you used for the most accurate data.
Stephanie W says
This is my go-to prep salad for the week so I have my lunches prepped for the week. I have done it both with ground beef and chicken. I tend to use it more with chicken as that is better chilled and easier for my high schooler to eat at school as well. I mix the sour cream and salsa together to create a creamier type of dressing.
Love your recipes Jennifer I am a big fan.Have been trying a lot of your recipe and I cannot say. anything bad about anyone of them. They are so simple and easy .Thank you so much
Lisa Warland says
Loved the butter chicken, served with sweet potato rive &cauliflower rice the following day! Sooo tasty, thank you kindly,