In my opinion, the true super food is bone broth. It is filled with collagen and minerals that our bodies need to thrive. Add in the amazingly nutritious egg and you have the most delicious and easy keto egg drop soup.
I love a good bowl of egg drop soup, especially when I am feeling under the weather. When using chicken bone broth, it really ups the nutrition content. This keto version of egg drop soup is super simple and keeps me warm all winter long.
Is traditional egg drop soup keto friendly?
When you go to any Chinese restaurant in America, they always have egg drop soup on the menu and it is delicious. One thing you may wonder is why is this version any different? Wouldn't the egg drop soup in a traditional Chinese restaurant be keto friendly? That answer is usually no, for the simple fact that a lot of the traditional methods use corn starch to thicken the soup and some recipes call for sugar.
How to easily make keto egg drop soup
By piggy backing off of my last post of Instant Pot Bone In Chicken thighs, of course! This is not required, but if you want homemade chicken bone broth for your egg drop soup, make that recipe first. If you want to skip to the good part, you can use 6 cups of chicken bone broth or just your favorite plain chicken broth.
I like my egg drop soup extra nutritious so I use extra egg. I beat 4 eggs in a bowl and while the broth is simmering, I slowly pour the eggs into the broth. I let it sit for a minute, then give it a big stir. That's it!
Now you can season it how you like. I like to use some soy sauce. If you need to keep this wheat free, then please use Tamari. This is a wheat free soy sauce that can be found in large grocery stores.
Add a few sliced green onions for a little extra flavor.
Traditionally in Chinese culture, egg drop soup is called Dan Hua Tang which translates to egg flower soup. I just love that so much! The egg really looks like a whispy flower when its being poured in the hot broth.
Can this soup be thickened?
Traditionally, egg drop soup is thickened with corn starch and that give some body. If you would like your soup a little thicker, you can add a teaspoon of Xanthan gum to the soup and bring it to a simmer to thicken.
I hope you enjoy this Egg Drop Soup recipe. Here at Low Carb with Jennifer we aim to deliver family friendly keto recipes that are easy to make with ingredients found in most grocery stores. No crazy ingredients here! If you are interested in more keto friendly recipes, I have a cookbook that can be found by clicking here: https://jenniferbanz.com/book
Nourishing Keto Egg Drop Soup
- 6 Cups Chicken Bone Broth
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- Soy sauce to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Sliced green onions for garnish
- In a large pot over high heat, bring the chicken broth to a boil. Slowly pour the beaten eggs into the hot broth and let sit for about 30 seconds. Give a big stir and serve.
- For a super nourishing and collagen filled soup, Make my Insant pot bone in chicken thighs first or your favorite chicken bone broth recipe. Strain out the chicken and bones.
- I calculated the nutrition using kettle and fire chicken bone broth.
- Can this soup be thickened? Traditionally, egg drop soup is thickened with corn starch and that give some body. If you would like your soup a little thicker, you can add a teaspoon of Xanthan gum to the soup and bring it to a simmer to thicken.
Nutrition per serving
Nutrition is provided as a courtesy only. Please re-calculate on your own with the ingredients and amounts you used for the most accurate data.
This is so easy and good flavor
Thanks for sharing