It doesn’t get any more classic than roast chicken. This roast chicken with lemon and thyme is so succulent, juicy, and flavorful, you will be oohing and aahing at every bite. I’m not kidding.
Butter, avocado oil, salt, onion, lemon, thyme, garlic powder, and chicken. That’s all you need for this AMAZING roast chicken recipe. Notice I put butter first…because without it this chicken would just be – meh. Do you know how much I love butter?
Here is an ode to butter
Butter, oh butter, how I love the. Slathered on a low carb muffin (recipe coming soon), dripping off of cream cheese pancakes, and smeared across a piece of low carb banana bread (not an oxy moron). I just can’t get enough of your creamy, salty goodness. I say salty because salted butter is the only way to go. Please never use flavorless unsalted butter. Never. Ever. Love, Jennifer
Do you ever just grab a pat of delicious butter when no one is looking and eat it? No? I would never do that either! That’s like so gross! Anyway, let’s get back to the chicken, shall we?
My trick to this flavorful roast chicken with lemon and thyme is slathering it with butter (obvs), and avocado oil. I then lay (lie?) the bird on top of thick slices of onion. And, this is the kicker, I baste it every 30 minutes or so. Please don’t skip this step or your chicken will be dry and blah. You have been warned.
Here are a few basting tips:
If you don’t own a turkey baster, you can use a spoon.
Remove the pan from the oven and shut the door so the heat doesn’t escape.
Tilt the pan to gather as much basting liquid as possible and coast the entire chicken with the liquid.
Let finish cooking, then devour.
“As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.”
For something a little quicker, check out this chicken thighs recipe!
- 1 3 1/2 - 4 lb Whole Chicken
- 1/4 cup Melted Butter
- 3 Tbsp Avocado Oil (olive oil is fine too)
- 1 Tbsp Seasoned Salt
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbsp Dried Thyme
- 1 1/2 Onion , cut into thick slices
- 1 Lemon , quartered
- Pre-heat oven to 400
- Remove giblets and rinse chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels
- combine butter and avocado oil together and rub over the entire bird
- Combine salt, garlic powder, and thyme and season all around the chicken and inside the cavity.
- Poke holes in lemon rind with a fork and put inside cavity
- Cover with plastic wrap and let marinate overnight if you have time. If not, skip to next step
- Place onion slices in a baking dish large enough for the chicken. Place chicken on top of onion, breast side down.
- Tent loosely with foil
- Roast the chicken for 1 1/2 hour, basting every half hour
- remove foil and flip over to breast side up
- cook for 20 minutes more, uncovered, to let skin crisp up.
- Make sure the chicken juices run clear when you cut between the leg and the thigh
Avocado oil is preferred for cooking because it has a higher smoke point than olive oil.
Use a spoon or a basting brush if you do not have a turkey baster.