Thirty minutes is all you need to have this comforting keto cheeseburger soup recipe on your dinner table. This hearty soup tastes just like a bacon cheeseburger and uses cream cheese and cheddar cheese for the ultimate cheesy base, pickles for a tangy bite, and of course, smoky bacon!
Keto bacon cheeseburger soup recipe
Everyone loves a good cheeseburger, but when you're following a keto diet, the bun is a big no no (unless it's keto, of course). I am a big fan of soup and this keto cheeseburger soup with bacon and pickles is perfect for busy weeknights because it is ready in about 30 minutes. It has all the flavors of a cheeseburger including hamburger, cheese, pickles, and bacon!
8 slices bacon (diced) - This is for the topping so you can use your favorite bacon here.
1 pound (500g) ground beef - I like to use a leaner ground beef, such as 93% lean, so there isn't any grease to drain. It is a more expensive cut, but you're left with more meat in your soup and no need to throw out the fat. If you want a soup without red meat, you can use ground turkey or chicken.
½ cup diced onion (about 1 small onion) - I love to use already diced onion in the freezer section of the grocery store. It is such a time saver!
8 ounces (226g) light cream cheese - Since this soup is pretty heavy with the cheese and beef, I like to use a light cream cheese to reduce the calories a bit.
Kosher salt and black pepper
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 cups beef stock or broth
1 ½ cups (150g) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Chopped pickles for garnish
Optional additions - This would be good with some added veggies such as cauliflower rice, or broccoli florets. I prefer to leave veggies out so it is the ultimate decadent soup for the whole family.
How to make keto cheeseburger soup
Step 1 - I like to cook my diced bacon in the pot before I make my low-carb cheeseburger soup to cut down on dishes. Cook it over medium heat in a large pot until it is crisp then remove the bacon and grease from the pan. This usually takes about 8-10 minutes. To cut down on cooking time, you could also cook the bacon in a separate skillet while the soup is cooking.
Step 2 - You can see in the step by step instruction photos, we start with cooking our base of onion and ground beef over medium heat until the onions are soft and the ground beef is browned and crumbled. If your beef released fat, you will want to drain it off. I like to absorb it with a paper towel.
Step 3 - Chop the cream cheese into smaller pieces so it melts into the ground beef easier. Stir the ground beef and cream cheese combo until the cream cheese is completely melted.
Step 4 - Stir in the tomato paste until it is fully incorporated.
Step 5 - Stir in the beef broth. Stir for a few minutes to get all of the ingredients to meld together.
Step 6 - Stir in your shredded cheddar cheese. This will take a few minutes to melt. When the cheese is completely melted into your keto cheeseburger soup, it's done! No need to simmer this keto-friendly soup recipe.
Step 7 - Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the crispy bacon, extra cheese, and pickles. You could also add sliced green onions.
This low carb soup recipe is the best keto comfort food and my entire family cannot get enough. More keto recipes that will give you comfort during cold weather are Creamy Lemon Chicken Thighs, Creamy Garlic Chicken, and my Keto Burger Bowl.
Easy Keto Cheeseburger Soup with Bacon - 3 Net Carbs
This post may contain affiliate links
- 8 Slices Bacon, diced
- ½ Cup diced onion (about 1 small onion)
- 1 Pound lean ground beef
- kosher salt and pepper
- 8 Ounces light cream cheese, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 2 Cups Beef broth
- 1 ½ Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Chopped pickles for topping
- Cook the diced bacon in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat until it is crispy, about 8 minutes. Remove from the pot a drain on a plate lined with paper towels. Remove the remaining bacon grease from the pot.
- Add in the diced onion and ground beef and season with salt and pepper. Sauté until the ground beef is cooked through and crumbled, and the onions are soft. About 8 minutes. Drain off any remaining grease in the pot, if necessary.
- Stir in the cream cheese to the browned beef and stir until melted and incorporated. Stir in the tomato paste.
- Stir in the beef broth and the cheddar cheese. Continue stirring until the cheese is fully incorporated and the soup is creamy. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the cheesy soup in bowls topped with reserved crispy bacon and chopped pickles.
- Nutrition - This recipe makes approximately 5 cups and a serving is 1.25 cups. The nutrition was calculated using lean ground beef and light cream cheese.
- Slow cooker instructions - Brown your meat with your onions (season with salt and pepper to taste) and add them to the slow cooker. Now add in your broth, cream cheese, and tomato paste. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7 hours. Stir in the cheddar cheese before serving.
- Pickles - The pickles I used were sliced Cornichons. You can see what I am talking about by checking them out on Amazon here. You can use any dill pickles you like, though.
- Storage - This soup will keep in an air tight container for 3-4 days in the refrigerator. You can also divide it into 4 equal size air tight containers for meal prep.
- Reheating - This soup reheats really well in the microwave. Place the bowl of soup in a microwave safe bowl and heat on high for 1 - 2 minutes or until heated through. Alternatively, you can heat in a small saucepan over medium heat until heated through.
- Freezing - with all of the dairy in this soup, I do not recommend freezing it.
Nutrition per serving
Nutrition is provided as a courtesy only. Please re-calculate on your own with the ingredients and amounts you used for the most accurate data.