Missing oatmeal for breakfast? This low carb and Kete Oatmeal or as some call it “noatmeal” is easy, uses chia seeds, is high protein, and can be made overnight, in the microwave or on the stovetop. I give a basic noatmeal recipe below and then I give you a ton of add ins to make this recipe your own!
This super easy low carb and Keto Oatmeal is really delicious! When I get bored of keto crepes, almond flour muffins, or bacon cooked in the oven, I love to make this low carb oatmeal and have it in the fridge to eat for an easy breakfast or as a snack.
The ingredients in this noatmeal are:
- Hemp hearts – these are shelled hemp seeds. They are packed with protein and are virtually carb free. They really give this keto oatmeal that distinctive oatmeal texture. They soften up in the liquid if you are making overnight oats, or they soften as you cook them.
- Chia seeds – these really thicken up the noatmeal so they really are an essential ingredient. They are loaded with healthy fats and fiber
- Sweetener – I prefer to use monk fruit zero carb sweetener but you could really use any that you like.
- Heavy cream, and water – I like to add water with the heavy cream so we aren’t using so much heavy cream (which would double the calorie count). You could also use unsweetened vanilla almond milk for a nice vanilla flavor or coconut milk.
KETO OVERNIGHT OATS
All you do to make this recipe as overnight oats is mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl with a lid, and refrigerate. You can refrigerate overnight, but stir at least once before you tuck in for the night.
Serve in the morning with a couple of diced strawberries, or your toppings of choice (I list over 10 toppings below). You can even forget the toppings if you want, it is delicious without it!
LOW CARB OATMEAL IN THE MICROWAVE
I love making this in the microwave because it is so easy. Simply put all of the ingredients in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 2 minutes. Remove from the microwave and stir well. If the noatmeal seems too thick, thin it out with a little more water.
This would be perfect made at your desk at work! Add all of the ingredients to a jar with a lid then when you get to work, follow the microwave instructions!
NOATMEAL ON THE STOVETOP
Add all of the ingredients to a small saucepan and cook over medium heat. When thick (about 5-8 minutes), remove from the heat. If too thick, add a bit more water. Serve with your favorite toppings.
MY FAVORITE KETO OATMEAL TOPPINGS
- Low Carb Fruit – Such as blueberries, strawberries, or raspberries
- Toasted coconut – 1 Tablespoon is only 55 calories and 1g net carb
- Protein powder or collagen peptides – Give your keto oatmeal even more of a protein boost
- Pumpkin pie spice – 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice would really give some flavor and would add 1g net carb to your oatmeal.
- Butter – This would make you porridge really smooth and would add 150 calories per tablespoon.
- Cocoa powder – Chocolate noatmeal sounds amazing! 1 teaspoon would add almost no carbs.
- Almond butter – A drizzle of almond butter on top…yes please! This would add about 100 calories and 2g net carbs per tablespoon.
- Sugar free maple syrup – I love maple flavored oatmeal so this is my personal favorite. And the best thing is it is zero carbs.
- Walnuts – 1 tablespoon of finely chopped walnuts would add about 33 calories and .5g net carbs.
- Keto Granola – This is a great granola recipe that I have some up with to top ice cream or cheesecake mousse.
Some other breakfast recipes you will love are:
- Low Carb Breakfast Casserole – This recipe uses spinach, mushrooms, and bacon…the perfect make ahead breakfast.
- Keto Breakfast Sandwich – Out of this world with pancakes as the bun!
- Keto Biscuits and Gravy – Cheddar biscuits and sausage gravy…need I say more.
keto Oatmeal or Noatmeal - Microwave, Overnight, or Stovetop
- 6 Tablespoons Hemp Hearts
- 2 teaspoons Chia Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon OR vanilla extract
- 5 Tablespoons Heavy Cream
- ⅓ Cup Water
- 1 Tablespoon Granular Sweetener (Click here to see my favorite on Amazon)
For Low Carb Overnight Oats
- In a medium sized bowl with a lid, add all of the ingredients and stir to combine.
- Refrigerate four hours to overnight stirring at least once. Add more almond milk or cream to thin if needed. Serve with your toppings of choice (see post above)
For Microwave Keto Oatmeal
- Add all ingredients to a microwave safe bowl and cook on high for 2 minutes. Remove from the mircrowave and serve with your toppings of choice.
- Add all of the ingredients to a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook for 5-8 minutes until thick, stirring occasionally. Serve with your toppings of choice.
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
- TOPPINGS - please see above the recipe card for 10 topping options and their nutrition info.
- NUTRITION - includes the basic noatmeal with no toppings.
- SERVING - this recipe makes 2 servings. you can cut the recipe in half if you only want to make 1 serving, or you can save half in the refrigerator for the next day.
- PREPPING THE MIX IN ADVANCE - I like to measure out the dry ingredients (1 or 2 servings) into small glass jars with lids and anytime I have an noatmeal craving, it is all ready to go.