Missing oatmeal for breakfast? This low carb and Kete Oatmeal or as some call it "noatmeal" is easy, uses chia seeds, is high protein, and can be made overnight, in the microwave or on the stovetop. I give a basic noatmeal recipe below and then I give you a ton of add ins to make this recipe your own!
This super easy low carb and Keto Oatmeal is really delicious! When I get bored of keto crepes, almond flour muffins, or bacon cooked in the oven, I love to make this low carb oatmeal and have it in the fridge to eat for an easy breakfast or as a snack.
The ingredients in this noatmeal are:
- Hemp hearts - these are shelled hemp seeds. They are packed with protein and are virtually carb free. They really give this keto oatmeal that distinctive oatmeal texture. They soften up in the liquid if you are making overnight oats, or they soften as you cook them.
- Chia seeds - these really thicken up the noatmeal so they really are an essential ingredient. They are loaded with healthy fats and fiber
- Sweetener - I prefer to use monk fruit zero carb sweetener but you could really use any that you like.
- Heavy cream, and water - I like to add water with the heavy cream so we aren't using so much heavy cream (which would double the calorie count). You could also use unsweetened vanilla almond milk for a nice vanilla flavor or coconut milk.
KETO OVERNIGHT OATS
All you do to make this recipe as overnight oats is mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl with a lid, and refrigerate. You can refrigerate overnight, but stir at least once before you tuck in for the night.
Serve in the morning with a couple of diced strawberries, or your toppings of choice (I list over 10 toppings below). You can even forget the toppings if you want, it is delicious without it!
LOW CARB OATMEAL IN THE MICROWAVE
I love making this in the microwave because it is so easy. Simply put all of the ingredients in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 2 minutes. Remove from the microwave and stir well. If the noatmeal seems too thick, thin it out with a little more water.
This would be perfect made at your desk at work! Add all of the ingredients to a jar with a lid then when you get to work, follow the microwave instructions!
NOATMEAL ON THE STOVETOP
Add all of the ingredients to a small saucepan and cook over medium heat. When thick (about 5-8 minutes), remove from the heat. If too thick, add a bit more water. Serve with your favorite toppings.
MY FAVORITE KETO OATMEAL TOPPINGS
- Low Carb Fruit - Such as blueberries, strawberries, or raspberries
- Toasted coconut - 1 Tablespoon is only 55 calories and 1g net carb
- Protein powder or collagen peptides - Give your keto oatmeal even more of a protein boost
- Pumpkin pie spice - 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice would really give some flavor and would add 1g net carb to your oatmeal.
- Butter - This would make you porridge really smooth and would add 150 calories per tablespoon.
- Cocoa powder - Chocolate noatmeal sounds amazing! 1 teaspoon would add almost no carbs.
- Almond butter - A drizzle of almond butter on top...yes please! This would add about 100 calories and 2g net carbs per tablespoon.
- Sugar free maple syrup - I love maple flavored oatmeal so this is my personal favorite. And the best thing is it is zero carbs.
- Walnuts - 1 tablespoon of finely chopped walnuts would add about 33 calories and .5g net carbs.
- Keto Granola - This is a great granola recipe that I have some up with to top ice cream or cheesecake mousse.
Some other breakfast recipes you will love are:
- Low Carb Breakfast Casserole - This recipe uses spinach, mushrooms, and bacon...the perfect make ahead breakfast.
- Keto Breakfast Sandwich - Out of this world with pancakes as the bun!
- Keto Biscuits and Gravy - Cheddar biscuits and sausage gravy...need I say more.
keto Oatmeal or Noatmeal - Microwave, Overnight, or Stovetop
- 6 Tablespoons Hemp Hearts
- 2 teaspoons Chia Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon OR vanilla extract
- 5 Tablespoons Heavy Cream
- ⅓ Cup Water
- 1 Tablespoon Granular Sweetener (Click here to see my favorite on Amazon)
For Low Carb Overnight Oats
- In a medium sized bowl with a lid, add all of the ingredients and stir to combine.
- Refrigerate four hours to overnight stirring at least once. Add more almond milk or cream to thin if needed. Serve with your toppings of choice (see post above)
For Microwave Keto Oatmeal
- Add all ingredients to a microwave safe bowl and cook on high for 2 minutes. Remove from the mircrowave and serve with your toppings of choice.
- Add all of the ingredients to a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook for 5-8 minutes until thick, stirring occasionally. Serve with your toppings of choice.
- TOPPINGS - please see above the recipe card for 10 topping options and their nutrition info.
- NUTRITION - includes the basic noatmeal with no toppings.
- SERVING - this recipe makes 2 servings. you can cut the recipe in half if you only want to make 1 serving, or you can save half in the refrigerator for the next day.
- PREPPING THE MIX IN ADVANCE - I like to measure out the dry ingredients (1 or 2 servings) into small glass jars with lids and anytime I have an noatmeal craving, it is all ready to go.
Nutrition per serving
Nutrition is provided as a courtesy only. Please re-calculate on your own with the ingredients and amounts you used for the most accurate data.
LINDA SMITH says
I really liked this recipe and maybe it's just me, but one serving was not enough... not even half a cup per serving... I made it 2x ... once cooked on stove and next overnight in fridge and still less than a cup for the 2 servings... I ate both which was a lot of calories, but still low-carb... even adding some chopped walnuts didn't make 1 serving enough
What a joy to follow you Jennifer ,You have created a program that is very workable,thank you 😊,and recipes that are amazing!!!
I was initially not sure about this combo of hemp hearts and chia seeds, so on a snowy NY morning I made this recipe. OMG…it hit The spot. The only changes I made was using a brown sugar granular sweetener, just to get that extra maple flavor, and I mixed in freeze-dried strawberry powder I got on Amazon that I had. This makes 2 servings. At first I thought the one serving would not be enough, but trust me, those hemp hearts and chia seeds swell up in your tummy and you feel totally full!! I’m so excited to have the other 1/2 tonight as an after dinner snack with a cup of tea. I’m a picky recipe person, so if I’m giving this 5 stars…you’ve got to try this! TY Jennifer for sharing this with us!!!
Shirley Reese says
Yum! I've been doing Keto for a little over a week and found your Facebook videos about 5 days in. I've done Keto before but really wanted to be more creative this time as my goal is to stick with it long term. I really enjoy your videos and am excited to be trying your recipes. I made this breakfast "oatmeal" over night then heated in the morning and topped with chopped pecans. YUMMY!!
This recipe is very easy and was a good replacement for oatmeal. I will be it making again.
Jennifer Gaffney says
I just made the microwave version of noatmeal and it is amazing! I will definitely be making this regularly!
This was really good. It taste more like cream of wheat which hubby loves. My topping was one tablespoon of the dry peanut butter. It did add half a carb per serving but was well worth it.Thanks so much.
Mine was too watery. Are the liquid measurements correct?
Yes, they are correct. Did you add the chia seeds? Maybe more chia seeds depending on the brand.
Hi, would hemp seeds work instead of hearts? I can’t get hearts at my local supermarket, but can get seeds. Thanks!
Paula Montenegro says
One of my favorite breakfasts, I love that you make it in the microwave! Love the topping ideas. I'm making a batch now. Thanks for sharing!
Nicoletta De Angelis Nardelli says
This recipe for 'noatmeal' is so delightful and satisfying! Love the texture and the flavors! I'll surely try it!
LINDA SMITH says
Made this oatmeal for breakfast... added butter and a little sugar free strawberry preserves... delicious!
I tried the oatmeal recipe. I added Swerve brown sugar. It’s tasted ok as a substitute. But, added it to whole milk Greek yogurt and raspberries. It was really good! Can’t wait for breakfast tomorrow to have it again!
What is the net carb count on the base recipe??
2 net carbs
Could these be heated in the morning after being in the refrigerator all night?
I think that would work great and I have actually been meaning to try that!
Could almond milk be used instead of, or in combo with the heavy cream? Thx!
I think that would work just fine
what are hemp hearts and where do you get those?!
Here are the ones I buy...you can get them at most grocery stores in the baking or health food isle https://amzn.to/2t8jcAz
Too much liquid remains in a.m. Should it be less water? I left overnight in fridge but had to drain a fair amount of liquid out. But it is delicious, will add shredded unsweetened coconut next time as well.
Did you add chia seeds? Some chia seeds absorb more water than others. I would either drain the liquid or add more chia seeds
Is 3 cups of water correct or is it supposed to be 1/3 cup?
OMG, thank you for asking! It is supposed to be 1/3 cup of water!
Is there anything you can use in place ofhemp hearts??
more chia seeds or more nuts, desiccated coconut.
Would flax seeds work?
They would be a good addition, but if you omit the chia seeds it will need less liquid