I am a huge fan of breakfast casseroles…specifically Low Carb Breakfast Casserole with bacon. This casserole only has the good stuff like eggs, spinach, mushrooms, and of course, bacon!
This low carb breakfast casserole is so easy to throw together on the weekend so you can have breakfast ready for the whole week. You could also double the recipe and bake it in a larger casserole dish to take to a potluck or a brunch.
A low carb casserole is probably one of my favorite low carb breakfast ideas. Sometimes I leave out all of the veggies and just put cheese and bacon. That’s what I did with my Crustless Quiche Recipe. That one is my sons favorite!
To get this low carb breakfast casserole started, I first had to sauté my mushrooms and spinach with some garlic. I sliced 8 ounces of mushrooms and I used a 5 ounce container of baby spinach. It only took a few minutes to get the mushrooms a little soft and the spinach wilted down.
I also got my bacon cooked and drained on paper towels. For the best bacon, please follow my tutorial How to Cook Bacon in the Oven!
I already had my beaten eggs in a bowl with the half and half and the cheese, then I just added in the cooked mushrooms and spinach. I chose not to add any bacon into the casserole and just placed it on top. You could definitely put cooked and chopped bacon, or even sausage into this low carb breakfast casserole. I would use 6 slices of cooked bacon or half a pound of sausage inside the casserole.
I then poured the mixture into a greased 9 x9 casserole dish and baked it at 375F for 30 minutes, or until the center is set. You can check for doneness by inserting a butter knife into the center of the low carb breakfast casserole.
*This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase one of the mentioned products, I will receive a small portion, at no extra cost to you.*
A delicious low carb breakfast casserole filled with cheese, bacon, mushrooms, and spinach. Make ahead for breakfast all week long!
Pre-heat the oven to 375F and spray a 9 x 9 casserole with cooking spray
In a large mixing bowl, add the eggs, half and half, salt, and pepper. Whisk thoroughly. Add in the cheese
In a large skillet over medium heat, add oil and garlic. Sauté for 1 minute. Add in the mushrooms and sauté for 1 minute more. Finally, add in the spinach and mix in with the mushrooms. Continue to sauté until the spinach is wilted. Remove from the heat.
Add the spinach and mushrooms to the bowl with the eggs. Mix to combine. Pour into the greased casserole and lay the bacon pieces on top.
Bake in the pre-heated oven for 30 minutes or until the casserole is set in the middle.
Serve hot, or wrap portions in foil or plastic wrap and store in the fridge up to 1 week.
For 1/6th of the recipe: 389 calories / 29g fat / 4.9 carbs / .6g fiber / 26g protein
- You can easily double this recipe and use a 9 x 13 casserole dish. Bake for 45 minutes or until set.
- You can definitely use heavy cream instead of half and half if you want a lower carb count.
- You can add cooked sausage or crumbled bacon into the casserole. I would use 1/2 pound of sausage cooked and crumbled, or 6 slices of bacon cooked and crumbled. Add it to the egg mixture with the mushrooms and spinach.
- To check the low carb casserole for doneness...insert a butter knife into the middle of the casserole and check to see if the egg is set.
- This casserole is perfect for freezing. You can bake the casserole in a foil pan, let cool, cover with foil and then freeze, or you can bake it, let cool, remove it from the pan, wrap very well in foil, and freeze.
⭐ Did you make this Low Carb Breakfast Casserole Recipe? Tag me on Instagram so I can see! @lowcarbwithjennifer