Make these bacon wrapped hot dogs anyway you like! I give tips on getting the bacon nice and crispy and how to keep it from un-rolling. Have you ever heard of a danger dog?
So I’ll be honest, I had never heard of Danger Dogs until today. Of course, I have heard of bacon wrapped hot dogs, but in Mexico and Los Angeles, street vendors make bacon wrapped hot dogs and call them danger dogs. We learn something new every day!
I think grilling is a very common method for making this recipe, but not everyone wants to use a grill or has a grill. I prefer to use the oven.
After a couple of attempts making these, I found that my hot dogs split and the bacon started to unwrap from the hot dog. Here are all of my tips to prevent this!
HOW I MAKE BACON WRAPPED HOT DOGS
First, you need to use really thin bacon. If your bacon is not really thin, you will need to pre-cook it either in a skillet or in the microwave.
When I shop for bacon that I will be using to wrap something like these hot dogs or asparagus, I look for one that is 60-70 calories per slice. Most bacon is 80 calories per slice but there are a few out there, like Smithfield, that are 60, or ButcherBox bacon!
While I use thin bacon, I used bigger hot dogs. This keeps the hot dogs from getting really over cooked while the bacon is getting crispy.
I also scored each of the hot dogs so they would not split during the cooking process.
Now we can wrap the hot dogs with the bacon! I used toothpicks to secure each end so the bacon doesn’t come un-raveled. You can see in this picture that I used bacon that was a little thicker so I had to pre-cook them in the microwave. I cooked the bacon long enough to render some of the fat, but also still pliable.
I placed the bacon wrapped hot dogs on a lined sheet pan and baked them in a 400F oven until the bacon was crispy to my liking. Be patient because there is nothing worse than undercooked bacon!
Here they are finished and ready for toppings. Don’t forget to remove the toothpicks!
Did you make this Danger Dog Recipe? Tag me on Instagram so I can see! @lowcarbwithjennifer
Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs aka Danger DogsPRINT RECIPE PIN RECIPE
- 4 Hot Dogs
- 4 Slices bacon (thin - see notes)
- Pre heat the oven to 400F and line a sheet pan with parchment paper, foil, or a silicone baking mat
- Cut 4 diagonal slits in each hot dog and wrap the bacon around each hot dog in a diagonal. Secure each end of the bacon with a toothpick.
- Place on the baking sheet and bake in the oven until the bacon is fully cooked to your liking. This took about 15 minutes for me.
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
- When I shop for bacon that I will be using to wrap something like these hot dogs or asparagus, I look for one that is 60-70 calories per slice. Most bacon is 80 calories per slice but there are a few out there, like Smithfield, that are 60, or ButcherBox bacon (click here to see the latest promotion from ButcherBox)!
- While I use thin bacon, I used bigger hot dogs. This keeps the hot dogs from getting really over cooked while the bacon is getting crispy.
- Find hot dogs that have less carbs like Nathan's with only 1 carb