These Keto Brown Sugar Bacon Wrapped Asparagus baked in the oven or cooked in the air fryer are perfect for weeknight dinners. This recipe is so delicious you will want to upgrade it from side dish to the main dish! I give all of my tips for prepping ahead of time for a party appetizer, getting crispy bacon without having mushy asparagus, and making this with turkey bacon. Serve it with my Keto beef tips and gravy recipe!
Who loves bacon and asparagus!? I know I do. If you think you are not a fan of asparagus, try wrapping them in brown sugar and bacon. You now have a yummy side dish that’s low carb and keto friendly!
Grilling may be a more common method for this recipe, but I prefer to use the oven, plus not everyone has a grill.
Crispy bacon without mushy asparagus
After recipe testing a few times, I noticed the the asparagus became very over cooked before the bacon was nice and crispy. Here are all my tips to prevent this from happening to you!
First and foremost, you will need thin slices of bacon and thick asparagus spears. Thin asparagus + thick bacon = overcooked asparagus and under cooked bacon. The ideal equation is thick asparagus + thin bacon = perfect perfect perfect!
I like to cut off the woody end of the asparagus spears and then line them on parchment paper.
Drizzle each piece with avocado oil then season with sugar free brown sugar, salt and pepper. You will want to toss the asparagus to evenly coat each spear.
Keto friendly brown sugar is definitely optional but I love the salty sweet bite of the brown sugar and bacon wrapped asparagus.
We will want to use ½ a slice of bacon to wrap each asparagus. You want to cut each piece of bacon in half lengthwise. The bacon I buy is thin - only about 50 calories per slice.
Wrap the bacon around each piece of asparagus.
If you want to up the vegetable count, you can wrap around 2 pieces of asparagus.
Give each spear even space on the sheet pan then sprinkle a little more salt, pepper and sugar free brown sugar over each bacon wrapped asparagus.
I placed the bacon wrapped asparagus on HI-broil in the center of the oven, flipping after 8 minutes. Continue to broil until your desired crispiness. This was about 12 minutes for me.
Making these in the air fryer
These would be perfect in the Air fryer! Follow all of the instructions as above but you will cook them in the air fryer at 400F for 15 minutes.
Prepping ahead for a party
These can be made ahead for a party but they are better if they are cooked right before serving. If your host has oven space available, you can warm them right before serving. You could also prep them up until the cook and then cook them right before serving.
Using turkey bacon
You can use turkey bacon! Follow the instructions just as written. The turkey bacon is a little thicker and less pliable than traditional bacon so they may not wrap as tightly. They will also cook more quickly so keep an eye on them.
Into bacon? Check out how to cook bacon on the oven, Bacon Onion Bombs, Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs aka Danger Dogs, Bacon Butter, and Stuffed Pork Chops with Bacon and Gouda.
Keto Bacon Wrapped Asparagus - Oven or Air Fryer
- 1 bunch Thick asparagus spears (about 12 spears)
- 2 Tablespoon avocado oil (Click here for my favorite brand on Amazon)
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar free brown sugar (optional)
- Enough thin slices of bacon to cover the number of asparagus (1 slice per 2 stems)
- Pre-heat the oven to Hi-broil and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the woody ends off of the asparagus, about 1-2 inches.
- Cut the bacon in half, lengthwise.
- Lay out the asparagus on the sheet pan and coat with avocado oil. Now season with salt pepper, and the sugar free brown sugar. Toss to coat.
- Wrap each asparagus stem in ½ a slice of bacon. Place on the sheet pan, evenly spaced.
- Cook in the center of the oven under hi-broil, flipping after 8 minutes.
- Continue to broil until bacon is cooked to your liking. This was about 12 minutes for me.
- Make sure your asparagus is thick, and your bacon is thin. You are looking for slices of bacon that are around 50-60 calories per slice.
- If you do not like the idea of sweet and savory bacon wrapped asparagus, simply leave out the brown sugar.
- Making these in the air fryer - These would be perfect in the Air fryer! Follow all of the instructions as above but you will cook them in the air fryer at 400F for 15 minutes.
- Prepping ahead for a party - These can be made ahead for a party but they are better if they are cooked right before serving. If your host has oven space available, you can warm them right before serving. You could also prep them up until the cook and then cook them right before serving.
- Using turkey bacon - You can use turkey bacon! Follow the instructions just as written. The turkey bacon is a little thicker and less pliable than traditional bacon so they may not wrap as tightly. They will also cook more quickly so keep an eye on them.
Nutrition per serving
Nutrition is provided as a courtesy only. Please re-calculate on your own with the ingredients and amounts you used for the most accurate data.
Nellie Tracy says
This is absolutely delicious! My new favorite side with almost any dish!
Renee Goerger says
I could snack on these all day, every day! Thanks for the recipe!
This looks divine - will try it for sure. <y version - ditch the sugar and squeeze half a lemon over it all and add a light sprinkle of Parmesan. It's incredible.
Gretchen Golembewski says
Can I prep night before and refrigerate?
Yes and you would want to re-heat them in the oven to get the crispness back