Brown Sugar Bacon Wrapped Asparagus baked in the oven is perfect for weeknight dinners. This recipe is so delicious you will want to upgrade it from side dish to the main dish!
Who loves brown sugar and bacon!? I know I do. If you think you are not a fan of asparagus, try wrapping them in brown sugar and bacon. You now have a yummy side dish that’s low carb and keto friendly!
Grilling may be a more common method for this recipe, but I prefer to use the oven, plus not everyone has a grill.
After recipe testing a few times, I noticed the the asparagus became very over cooked before the bacon was nice and crispy. Here are all my tips to prevent this from happening to you!
HOW I MAKE BACON WRAPPED ASPARAGUS
First and foremost, you will need thin slices of bacon and thick asparagus spears. Thin asparagus + thick bacon = overcooked asparagus and under cooked bacon, thick asparagus + thick bacon = undercooked bacon and overcooked asparagus. The ideal equation is thick asparagus + thin bacon = perfect perfect perfect!
I like to cut off the woody end of the asparagus spears and then line them on parchment paper.
Drizzle each piece with avocado oil then season with sugar free brown sugar, salt and pepper. You will want to toss the asparagus to evenly coat each spear.
LET’S WRAP IT UP
We will want to use ½ a slice of bacon to wrap each asparagus. Give each spear even space on the sheet pan then sprinkle a little more salt, pepper and sugar free brown sugar over each bacon wrapped asparagus.
I placed the bacon wrapped asparagus on HI-broil in the center of the oven, flipping after 8 minutes. Continue to broil until your desired crispiness. This was about 12 minutes for me.
Did you make this Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Recipe? Tag me on Instagram so I can see! @lowcarbwithjennifer
Brown Sugar Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- Pre-heat the oven to Hi-broil and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the woody ends off of the asparagus, about 1-2 inches.
- Cut the bacon in half, lengthwise.
- Lay out the asparagus on the sheet pan and coat with avocado oil. Now season with salt pepper, and the sugar free brown sugar. Toss to coat.
- Wrap each asparagus stem in 1/2 a slice of bacon. Place on the sheet pan, evenly spaced.
- Cook in the center of the oven under hi-broil, flipping after 8 minutes.
- Continue to broil until bacon is cooked to your liking. This was about 12 minutes for me.
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
- Make sure your asparagus is thick, and your bacon is thin. You are looking for slices of bacon that are around 50-60 calories per slice.
- I used Lakanto Brown sugar but you can also use Swerve brown sugar which I linked to in the recipe card.
- If you do not like the idea of sweet and savory bacon wrapped asparagus, simply leave out the brown sugar.