This baked lemon dill salmon recipe is very easy to prepare and can be on your table in about 20 minutes. Fresh lemon and dill really elevate a basic salmon filet and it's a recipe the whole family will love.
Salmon can be an intimidating ingredients to cook with but take my word for it, salmon fillets are one of the easiest proteins to cook. In fact, I bake salmon in the oven at least once a week because it is so simple! My favorite is a tie between this lemon dill salmon and my baked salmon in foil.
This lemon dill salmon is a really easy recipe that can be on your table in about 20 minutes. I think it is something that anyone in the family would be open to trying, and it is so pretty so you could serve it to guests! The lemon flavor is apparent, but not overpowering and the dill really goes so nicely with the salmon.
This baked salmon recipe pairs nicely with a salad, vegetables, or potatoes of you have picky kids like me.
The best part is this recipe is keto, paleo, Whole 30, gluten free and dairy free.
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for this lemon dill salmon recipe, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For the printable recipe, see the recipe card below.
1 tablespoon lemon zest - when I really want to drive home the amazing and fresh taste of lemon, I always include lemon zest. It really gives this dill salmon so much flavor without being overpowering. You will need 1 large lemon for this amount of zest.
2 tablespoons fresh chopped dill - dill is one of my favorite fresh herbs and it should be pretty easy to find in most large grocery stores. If you want to use dried you would need 2 teaspoons.
1 ½ pounds salmon fillets, cut into 4 portions
1 tablespoon avocado oil - my personal oil preference is avocado oil but you could also use canola oil or olive oil.
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ cup fresh lemon juice - Use the lemon that you zested to then give you the juice you need.
4-8 lemon slices - These are optional but I would include them if you are serving this lemon dill salmon to guests.
How to make lemon dill salmon
This section explains how to make this dill salmon recipe step by step. For a full printable recipe, see the recipe card below.
Step 1 - Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a rimmed baking pan with aluminum foil. Combine the lemon zest and chopped dill in a small bowl and set aside.
Step 2 - Place the salmon fillets on the baking tray, using a basting brush, brush each salmon fillet with avocado oil. Season with salt and pepper and top with the fresh lemon and dill. Carefully pour the lemon juice in the bottom of the baking tray, surrounding the salmon filets.
Step 3 - Top each piece of salmon with 1 to 2 lemon slices. This step is optional but I would recommend including the sliced lemon if you are serving this lemon dill salmon to guests.
step 4 - Place into already preheated oven and baked for 15 minutes, or until the salmon flakes easily with a fork.
Tips for the best dill salmon
- Line your baking tray with foil when you bake this lemon dill salmon for really easy clean up. You could also use parchment paper.
- Fresh dill will yield the best flavor.
- Do not overcook your salmon! The best salmon is done cooking when it flakes easily with a fork. For a more certain way of checking, you can use an internal meat thermometer inserted into the middle of the filet without going all the way through. You want to pull the salmon out of the oven at 120F.
Tools to make this salmon recipe easier
- basting brush to evenly distribute the avocado oil on the salmon filets. I like to use silicone for easier clean up and they last much longer.
- I like to use a 9x7 sheet tray that is just large enough to hold the salmon. You could also use a small baking dish.
- You will definitely need a zester to zest your lemon. they are so inexpensive and the last for years.
Make this salmon with dill a complete meal
- Cheesy Air Fryer Asparagus
- Fried radishes with bacon
- Garlic and thyme roasted mushrooms
- Air fryer Brussels sprouts
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Click here to subscribe to my newsletter so you never miss a new recipe.
Lemon Dill Salmon Recipe - 20 minute meal
This post may contain affiliate links
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Zest
- 2 Tablespoons fresh chopped dill
- 1.5 pounds Salmon filet, cut into 4 portions
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon Ground black pepper
- ¼ Cup lemon juice
- 4-8 Lemon, slices
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a small rimmed baking tray with aluminum foil. Combine the lemon zest and chopped dill in a small bowl and set aside.
- Place the salmon filets on the baking tray, using a basting brush, brush each salmon filet with avocado oil. Season with salt and pepper and top with the fresh lemon and dill. Carefully pour the lemon juice in the bottom of the baking tray, surrounding the salmon filets. Top each piece of salmon with 1 to 2 lemon slices.
- Place into already preheated oven and baked for 15 minutes, or until the salmon flakes easily with a fork.
Nutrition per serving
Nutrition is provided as a courtesy only. Please re-calculate on your own with the ingredients and amounts you used for the most accurate data.