Chicken Mozzarella...an easy one skillet meal loaded with Italian flavor! The trick to this quick 1 skillet weeknight meal is using my favorite jarred marinara sauce and I show you how to keep the chicken juicy!
Related: I get all of my grass fed beef and pasture raised chicken from Butcher Box. Read my honest review here.
Juicy chicken breast can be quite hard to achieve…luckily I have some tricks for you! This easy Chicken Mozzarella has those coveted juicy chicken breast that are smothered in my favorite jarred marinara, then topped with lots of mozzarella cheese. All of this uses only 1 skillet and is ready in under 30 minutes.
Juicy Chicken – The Preparation
My preferred cut of chicken is chicken thighs because of their flavor and overcooking does not dry them out.
With chicken breast, you have to make sure that you do not over-cook them because as with any meat, when an internal temperature of 165F is reached, the juices start to boil of of the meat and the meat becomes dry. The best way to remedy this is to use a good meat thermometer. It is truly one of my favorite kitchen tools and I will link to my favorite ones in the recipe card.
To prepare this chicken breast for fast and even cooking, we need to cut them in half, lengthwise. I do this by resting my palm on top of the chicken breast and slicing carefully. A really sharp knife is best to help cut through the chicken easier.
I used 2 chicken breast for this recipe to make 4 chicken cutlets and 4 servings. I then seasoned them with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
Now we are going to sear these on each side in an oven safe skillet. I use avocado oil to sear the chicken as it has a higher smoke point than olive oil or butter.
Sear the chicken breast until the internal temperature is around 150F. This will allow us to continue to cook the chicken in the oven without it over cooking.
After the chicken is seared, remove it from the pan and pour in the marinara sauce.
My favorite jarred marinara would have to be Rao’s (linked in the recipe card). It is sugar free which is perfect for keto, and it is delicious! I know it is a little pricey, but I usually find it on sale and stock up.
Now it is time for the shredded mozzarella to top off the chicken. I used pre-shredded mozzarella, but please feel free to shred your own. I also sprinkled a little more Italian seasoning on top.
No we can place the chicken mozzarella under the broiler until the cheese gets browned and bubbly. I keep my oven rack in the middle of the oven and I set it to HI broil.
This truly is a no fuss easy chicken recipe for the whole family. Serve it along side vegetable noodles or a large Italian salad. – Jennifer
“As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases”
MORE REALLY QUICK KETO RECIPES
- Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs
- Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- Antipasto Salad
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- Bacon on the Oven
- Sesame Crusted Tuna
Did you make this Chicken Mozzarella Recipe? Use #lowcarbwithjennifer on Instagram for a chance to be featured!
Easy Chicken Mozzarella (5 Ingredients!)
- 2 Chicken Breast (12 ounces total)
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning, Divided
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1 24oz Marinara (click here to see my favorite brand)
- 1 Cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil (Click here for my favorite brand on Amazon)
- Place the chicken breast on a cutting board and using a sharp knife, cut each breast in half lengthwise (see notes) resulting in 4 chicken cutlets.
- Season each side of the chicken breast cutlets with salt, pepper, and ½ teaspoon of Italian seasoning.
- Add the avocado oil to a large oven proof skillet (such as cast iron or stainless steel) and heat over medium-high heat. Brown each side of the chicken cutlets and cook until a meat thermometer reads an internal temperature of 150F.
- Remove the chicken from the pan to a plate and set aside. Pour the marinara in the skillet and scrape any browned bit from the bottom of the pan with a spatula. Return the chicken to the pan and top each cutlet with ¼ cup of shredded mozzarella cheese, followed by the rest of the Italian seasoning.
- Turn your oven on HI Broil and set the rack to the middle of the oven. Place the mozzarella chicken in the oven and broil until the cheese becomes browned and bubbly...about 5-8 minutes
- Remove from the oven and check for proper chicken temperature of 165F using your meat thermometer. Serve.
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
- To cut the chicken in half lengthwise - place one hand flat on top of a chicken breast and, holding your knife parallel to the cutting board, slice it horizontally from the thick end to the thin end.
- Avocado Oil - Better for searing as it has a higher smoke point than olive oil or butter.
- Avoid Overcooked Chicken - Sear the chicken breast until the internal temperature is around 150F. This will allow us to continue to cook the chicken in the oven without it over cooking.
- Oven Safe Skillet - If you do not own an oven safe skillet, you can brown each chicken cutlet in any skillet you have and pour the marinara sauce into a casserole dish, followed by the browned chicken and the cheese. Continue with step 5.
- Checking for Doneness - To properly check the meats internal temperature, you need to check the temperature of the center of the meat.
- Nutrition - Calculated based on 12 ounces of chicken breast. 1 serving is 1 chicken mozzarella cutlet and ¼th of the sauce