This easy Keto Shakshuka recipe is the perfect vegetarian dish that can be used as a side dish or a main dish. We keep it easy by using jarred marinara but you can also make this with homemade marinara sauce.
I have been making Shakshuka for years now…it is one of my favorite easy recipes to make. I love all of the spices in the sauce combined with the eggs and the olives.
If you want to learn more about this classic dish, you can check out this History of Shakshuka.
Of course, you can leave off the kalamata olives if you are a not a fan. You can also serve this with feta cheese.
Usually when I make this recipe, I go the east route and use Rao’s Marinara sauce. This sauce is the best because it is keto friendly at only 5 net carbs per serving.
My homemade marinara sauce that I made as a copycat to the Rao’s sauce is also 5 net carbs per serving. They are both equally delicious!
This recipe starts with sautéing diced green bell pepper in avocado oil until they are softened. We then add in the spices so they can bloom.
Now we can stir in the marinara sauce and start cooking our eggs.
To add the eggs to the sauce, you first crack the egg in a small bowl and use a spoon or spatula to make a hole in the sauce, then dump the egg in the hole.
Continue to add the eggs this way all around the pan. 6 eggs fit perfectly in my skillet.
We then cover the skillet with a lid and let the sauce simmer until the whites of the eggs are completely set. This will take about 8-10 minutes.
I like to finish the dish off with kalamata olives and leaves of cilantro.
I hope you love this easy keto vegetarian recipe! Some other favorites on the website are:
- Creamy Keto Tomato Soup
- Keto Cauliflower Hummus
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Brown Butter Walnuts
- Keto Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Crustless Spinach Pie
Easy Keto Shakshuka Recipe - Vegetarian
- 2 Tablespoons Avocado oil (Click here for my favorite brand on Amazon)
- 28 ounces Marinara sauce (see notes)
- 1/2 Green bell pepper, diced
- 1 Tablespoon Smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 6 Large Eggs
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 6 Kalamata olives, chopped garnish
- 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro garnish
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add your avocado oil and diced green pepper and cook until softened. Should take about 3 minutes.
- Add the smoked paprika snd cumin and cook for a few minutes to bloom the spices.
- Stir in the marinara sauce.
- With a large spoon, make a well in the sauce to make a perfect spot to crack your egg. Do this all around your skillet with each egg.
- Over medium-low heat, cover your skillet to cook the eggs until the whites of your eggs are set and cooked through. This will take about 8-10 minutes.
- To keep this keto friendly, you would need to use Rao's marinara sauce or make your own. Here is my recipe for Homemade keto marinara sauce.