This keto teriyaki chicken legs recipe uses a delicious low carb friendly homemade teriyaki sauce. I give instructions for baked, slow cooker, or Instant Pot.
Yes, you can still have saucy, sticky, super flavorful chicken while on keto. My recipe for homemade keto teriyaki sauce adds so much flavor to these chicken legs. You can also use this on chicken thighs!
I first used this sauce when I made Keto Teriyaki Chicken - just like Chinese takeout.
Keto chicken drumsticks marinade
This is a simple sauce that acts as a marinade while the chicken is cooking. The ingredients are soy sauce (use coconut aminos if you don't use soy sauce), brown sugar substitute, minced garlic, grated ginger, and xanthan gum. All of the measurements can be found in the recipe card below.
The xanthan gum helps the sauce thicken and really stick to the chicken legs. If you don't have any, you can just leave it out. The collagen in the chicken skin will help thicken the sauce as well.
Another easy way to cook chicken legs is with BBQ sauce. See my recipe for Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Legs.
Wether you cook these chicken legs in the instant pot, slow cooker, or the oven...the recipes all start the same.
Place the chicken legs in either the slow cooker, instant pot, or a casserole dish. Mix the sauce in a bowl and pour over top of the chicken.
If you are cooking these in the Instant pot, you will need to add ½ cup fo water to the sauce.
When the chicken legs are finished cooking, I like to remove the legs from the pan and cook the sauce until it is thick. Then spoon the thick, sticky sauce over the chicken.
Keto Teriyaki Chicken Legs Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links
- Place chicken legs in a single layer in the slow cooker. In a small bowl, mix together the soy sauce, sweetener, garlic, ginger, and xanthan gum. Pour over the chicken legs. Cook on low for 4 hours, or high for 2 hours, turning half way through.
- When the chicken is done, remove from the slow cooker and pour the leftover sauce into a sauce pan. Cook on the stove top over medium high heat until reduced into a thick sauce. Spoon over the chicken leg and serve.
- Place chicken legs in a single layer in the Instant Pot. In a small bowl, mix together the soy sauce, sweetener, garlic, ginger, and xanthan gum and ½ cup of water. Pour over the chicken legs. Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes, followed by a 10 minute natural pressure release. Click here if you are new to the Instant Pot.
- Remove the rest of the pressure, followed by the lid. Remove the chicken legs from the pot and set the pot to "high saute' function. Let the sauce simmer until it is thickened. Spoon over the chicken and serve.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375F. Place chicken legs in a single layer in a 9x13 baking dish. In a small bowl, mix together the soy sauce, sweetener, garlic, ginger, and xanthan gum. Pour over the chicken legs. Bake in the oven for 1 hour, turning the legs over halfway through.
- If your sauce is still thin in the baking dish, pour it into a sauce pan and cook over medium-high heat until thickened. Spoon the sauce over the chicken legs and serve.
- If you do not have xanthan gum, just leave it out. The collagen in the chicken skin will help the sauce thicken as well.
Nutrition per serving
Nutrition is provided as a courtesy only. Please re-calculate on your own with the ingredients and amounts you used for the most accurate data.