So Unstuffed Cabbage Soup is definitely nothing new, but making something as delicious, but tedious, as cabbage rolls into a soup is one of my life passions. Another life passion of mine is taking sausage and using it instead of beef to pack recipes with so much flavor! I love sausage!
So for this unstuffed cabbage soup with sausage, I am giving instructions for the stovetop, Instant Pot, and slow cooker. You can find all of those instructions in the recipe card below!
HOW TO MAKE UNSTUFFED CABBAGE SOUP WITH SAUSAGE
The stovetop version of this soup starts with heating oil in a heavy bottom pot over medium heat. We then sauté the onion in the oil until they are soft. This takes about 8 minutes. Now we add in the garlic and the sausage and cook the sausage until it is cooked through.
Next, we add in the shredded carrots, fire roasted tomatoes, seasonings and broth.
Now we take our chopped cabbage and stuff it all in the pot and cover it with a lid. The cabbage in this soup looks like a lot initially, but it will wilt down substatially.
Once the cabbage wilts down, taste the soup for salt and pepper. Now it is time to serve!
⭐ Did you make this Unstuffed Cabbage Soup with Sausage Recipe? Tag me on Instagram so I can see! @lowcarbwithjennifer
Unstuffed Cabbage Soup with Sausage
- 2 Tablespoons Avocado oil
- 1/2 Cup Diced onion
- 1 Pound Ground sausage
- 1/2 Cup Carrots, chopped or shredded
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 15 Ounce can Chopped fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon Red pepper flake
- 4 Cups Chicken broth
- 1 Head of cabbage, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the avocado oil in a heavy bottom pot over medium heat. Add in the diced onion and cook until soft, about 8 minutes. Add in the sausage and cook and crumble until cooked through. Add in the rest of the ingredients, cover the pot and cook until the cabbage is wilted and the carrots are soft. About 25 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
- Set the Instant pot on low sauté. Add in the avocado oil and onion and cook until soft, about 8 minutes. Turn the Instant pot to high sauté and add in the sausage. Cook and crumble the sausage until it is cooked through. Cancel sauté mode. Add the rest of the ingredients and place the lid. Cook under high pressure for 1 minute, followed by a 10 minute natural pressure release. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
- Cook and crumble the sausage in a skillet until cooked through. Add the sausage and all other ingredients to the slow cooker (omit the oil). Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.